Autolite APP103 Spark Plugs

mlschultz

Registered
Just finished installing them in my 98 Mark (85k miles). They are double platinum, and one step colder than the Autolite 764's that most everyone uses. I set the gap at .048. Why .048? Well, it is a good number to use for the 764's :p $4.00 per plug at NAPA. 5 year unlimited miles, limited guarantee. In my test run, at WOT, it felt like it pulled much harder than with the old plugs. I am going to reset the mileage computer to see if there is a change. On average, city/hwy, I am at 21.8 mpg.

I do not think anyone has posted anything about these plugs on this site, so, thought I would get one started, and see if anyone has a opinion. The Motorcraft's that were in there looked to be the original plugs. The last plug, on either side, closest to the firewall, had signs of rust on the boots, and plugs. I believe water enters through the cutout where the coil harness fits on the cover, and ends up going into the end plug hole.

I also purchased every coil pack boot (p/n F7LZ-12A402-AA) between Kennesaw, and Marietta, GA. (two Ford, and two L/M dealers) They are about $8.00 a piece, and felt that it is a good idea to just replace them all during the plug change, before they start to arc while I am in the middle of the sticks somewhere. All the old boots looked great, including the two rusty looking ones. I have a good supply of spares now.

That is all for today. Tomorrow, I am going to install a new serpentine belt, ceramix pads up front, and speed bleeders on all four calipers so I can (one person) flush the old brake fluid, and refill with fresh Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (exceeds dot 4 :) )

RE: Autolite APP103 Spark Plugs

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]...Tomorrow, I am going to install a new serpentine belt, ceramix pads up front, and speed bleeders on all four calipers so I can (one person) flush the old brake fluid, and refill with fresh Valvoline synthetic brake fluid (exceeds dot 4 :) )
[/div]

Tell me more about these 'speed bleeders'.

Tell me more about these 'speed bleeders'.

They are one person brake bleeder valves. NAPA p/n 675-1570. Thread size M10 x 1.0. You do not have to close the valve between pumps. It is like a one way valve. You open bleeder 1/4 - 1/2 turn, and you pump the brakes until all air is released, then close valve. You get two to a pack. About $12.00 a pack. I will let you know what I think tomorrow.

Here is a link to the speed bleeder web site: http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Just finished the belt and brakes. I just had one caliper pin frozen in the anchor plate. I was lucky today..., and did not have to go searching for a used/new one :) The brakes have never felt this good. The Valvoline synthetic brake fluid flush, and NAPA Ceramix pads are awesome.

I highly recommend the speed bleeders too! They really work. One of the best inventions I have seen in quite some time. I can now bleed the brakes faster by myself, than when I had a helper.

Here you go fellas... With much fanfare and anticipation... What you all have been waiting with bated breath for:

(drumroll) My results/opinion of the Autolite APP103 sparkplug!

Most importantly, I passed the GA Annual Emission Test today! :) WOOHOO!

After nearly a thousand miles, city/hwy is at 21.0 mpg - down from 21.8, when the reset button was pressed at plug change last month. I hit the reset button monthly, to keep an eye on things, and the results are normal for my daily driver travel, with no extended hwy trips. This is typical cty/hwy mpg for my Mark, and I will say it is "no change" from old to new plugs regarding mpg. Unless... you like to split hairs with this very un-scientific evaluation :p The old plugs had at least 30k miles on them (miles I have driven), and as mentioned earlier, they looked to be the original plugs.

No acceleration numbers to share with you, but I do have my opinion to offer. I still feel a little bit more pull during cold duty cycle in the morning than with the old plugs, but once normal temp is reached, it pulls like I had the old plugs in. I believe the Mark has adjusted itself to the colder plugs. When I first installed them, my first normal operating temperature WOT blast gave off some stanky eggs... :B Like it was way fat. My Mark does not lay eggs normally, and does not as of today. Hence the adjustment theory. Time for a chip/tune to take advantage of the colder plugs ;)

The brakes are still awesome, with no shake, rattle, or roll to report. That is all for now... Keep the shiny side up, and the rubber side down.

Back