Leaking Roof

joemark8

Registered
About two weeks ago I posted a message that my roof liner in the rear was holding water. I received a couple of responses and one of them mentioned about "checking the drain lines and that they typically get clogged and back up and that they can be blown out".
Can anyone tell me where these drain lines are? It almost sounds like this is a joke - but probably not from a LOD member.

RE: Leaking Roof

wasn't a joke.. the original poster knew what he was talking about.

I "think" the drains are in the area beside the trunk rails, the part that is covered when the trunk is closed... open the trunk and look at area close to the lower corners of the rear window.
You should see the small drain holes..

"gonna go outside and look at tiffs car"

I went and looked.. and they weren't where I thought they were..
Sorry..
If I run across them I'll come give better info.
*puts on the dunce cap*

Leo, can you tell me where "your" drains terminate/end?

I thought they were in the trunk lid sealing area, but cant find them on tiffs car.

Actually there is 4 drain tubes 2 front, and 2 back corners. Look at my interior teardown pics in project newskin post and you can see the light blue plastic tubes on all 4 corners of the moonroof. We havent ripped mine apart, yet for the new moonroof yet or i would tell you exactly where they drain out (have to clear mine also). The rear run down into the 1/4 panels somewhere ahead of the rear tires. I'm guessing into the trunk exterior channels on outside of seal. I'll post on here when we do if i ever get it in mail, lol my moonroof mounting tabs rusted bad and i got another moonrof on the auction site. I would get a rubber nipple for your airhose and blow from the moonroof anyways or all the residue will be shot out and into the interior if its muddy water clogged, and you have the moonroof opened to expose the drain holes.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK/Silver HONDA CBR 600RR

Just an update for you if you need one. The seals that go around the moonroof edge and but up against the body are still available. Youll have to take yours out to do it. Just dropped 167.00 on a stupid piece of rubber for my new moonroof.
The seal is a simple J channel with a 90 degree back end and goes over the edge of rail. Comes with a tube of superglue of all things to install it.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
...The rear run down into the 1/4 panels somewhere ahead of the rear tires. I'm guessing into the trunk exterior channels on outside of seal.
[/div]

I don't think it's the trunk channels. My guess is the drains go to the rocker panel area between the rear of the door and the front of the rear wheel well. My '93 is presently getting 'touched up' in a body shop and we found bad places in the rocker panels on both sides in that area. :(

Is the seal a dealer item? Or was yours an aftermarket moonroof?

I know there are lines for the moonroof, i've never been able to figure out where they go.

on my navigator, the moonroof leaks, and there are only channels/lines in the front, and they don't work very well. The rear relies on a seal that is also quite poor.

But.... Joe never mentioned a moonroof in his post. He said his roof is leaking. More specifically, he said his headliner is holding water. This could be a rear window seal problem.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]...The rear run down into the 1/4 panels somewhere ahead of the rear tires. I'm guessing into the trunk exterior channels on outside of seal. [/div]I don't think it's the trunk channels. My guess is the drains go to the rocker panel area between the rear of the door and the front of the rear wheel well. My '93 is presently getting 'touched up' in a body shop and we found bad places in the rocker panels on both sides in that area. :(
[/div]

Bill(billcu) sent me this interesting pic...

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1586.jpg

:eek:

Good picture- I believe all the older moon roofs were done by American Sunroof Co. (ASC) There are four drains, one in each corner of the interior pan. The two in front are very easy to get to as you can se them with the roof open, the rears must be accessed by dropping the interior headlining from the rear. The drains then must be unhooked from the sunroof box unit and then you have topside access to blow them out or rod then out with some heavy guge wire like welding rod or such to clean them out. They drain out as you can see, in the wheel wells. Great picture.

Back