Acetone in gas

junk mark

Registered
Did not know where to post this.
I read a few articles on acetone in gas having a great benifit for power and fuel milage due to its cleaning and evaperation effects. I bought a big old can of fast evaperating acetone and was wondering if anyone else uses this stuff? seafoam and b-12 contain it as an active ingredient.

RE: Acetone in gas

I really dont know the 1st thing about it but, be very careful adding in to the gas tank - pouring it down the fender could be a real disaster.

I would be concerned about using it straight into the tank as to its effect on my fuel line compoments, filter,and injectors. Seafoam also has other chemicals such as detergents in the product to aide in cleaning.

I tried it out about a year ago...I never tried to pour it directly into the tank, but mixed it with about a quart of gas first, then dumped it in. I tried it for about 3 months and never really saw any improvement anywhere...MPG or performance, so quit using it. Tried it in both the diesel and the Mark.....and quit using it in both.
I'm sure if any of these 'improvements' had any merit, the gas companies would have used it years ago...

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Did not know where to post this.I read a few articles on acetone in gas having a great benifit for power and fuel milage due to its cleaning and evaperation effects. I bought a big old can of fast evaperating acetone and was wondering if anyone else uses this stuff? seafoam and b-12 contain it as an active ingredient.
[/div]

I put B-12 in my tank every year or so. I can detect a difference in engine performance, even after refueling. It must be cleaning something.

I put it in gas 1st then added it to clean the lines and such and I did feel a difference but it may have been a good tank of gas. I will only be using it to clean parts for now. I did not even think about the paint factor if I spilled it. Thanks that would have sucked bad. Thats why I love this site.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to follow up on this.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Found this article online, and it makes some very good points. At first, I was worried about the acetone destroying gaskets and the like, but after finding out that one ounce is only an 0.043% concentration in the gas, I can't help but think that that's not nearly enough to cause any harm. Even if you jump it to three ounces, which the above link shows as being the supposed efficiency peak, it's under an 0.15% concentration.

Also mentioned in the above link is that the author reports apparent 20mpg gains in his Dodge Neon. Obviously, a Neon is a LOT different from our fabulous Marks :D, and people here have reported that it didn't help very much in the Mark VIII, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any input.

Basically, I'm wondering if it would even be worth my time to attempt this, or if I should just put it out of my mind.

You may not be happy until you try it. Go try it. As I said, I tried it for about 3 months in both my Mark AND my diesel (not the new one, my old '94). No fabulous results ( not even fair results) and it was a pain mixing it at every fill-up. End of try-out for me. I didn't realize any noticeable MPG difference.

Back