factory CD changer question

tixer

Lincoln Evangelist
Staff member
Paid Member
Good morning!

With things warming up here in Wisconsin, I've been beginning to prep my '97 base out of it's winter storage in my garage, and my attention is being turned to a few little quirks that I didn't get the chance to fix last fall.

The quirk of the day is this: when I try to eject the magazine from the 10 disc changer, it makes noises, but doesn't eject. From the looks of things, the rubber roller that moves the CD from the transport to the magazine slips when it tries to re-load the CD into the magazine.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm not afraid of taking the thing apart, I just figured I'd see if this is a known issue, and if a quick fix exists.

Thanks for your help!

ps. For those of you who may remember my posts from a couple seasons ago: no mice in the headliner this year! :)

Morning! The best suggestion without forcing it, would be to remove the changer, than remove the outer cover and plug it in and see whats going on. Don't lick any of the power terminals ofcourse, unless you like being shocked, haha. I'm sure there is some sort of lever that has failed, or maybe even a CD jammed in it.

Also, if you think it's a rubber roller slipping, try cleaning the rollers and then put some belt dressing on them with a Q tip.

I used to do that a lot for repairing old VCR's and tape decks. Works great!

All good thoughts. Thanks! I tore into it last night, and it looks like the rubber roller that pulls cds in and out of the magazine is pretty worn out. it's 12cm long, and has a bit of an hourglass shape to it, which I assume it shouldn't. It is also slipping on the shaft it's attached to.

I've removed the offending part, and have a call out to my local AV Repair shop to see if he can find a new roller. Being a Sony changer, I have mixed hopes. I've heard it can be tough to acquire Sony repair parts..

I suppose if all other routes fail, I can always MacGyver it by wrapping some tape around it, or rebuilding it with silicone adhesive? I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for the quick replies!
-Mike

Good job figuring it out, pretty each I guess.

Rubber band man :)

I can call my "guy" to see if he can order you a new rubber roller. He is a certified Sony stereo repair tech. If you can get me the part number off this thing maybe I can help.

Last edited:
Oh, that'd be great! (and yes, I considered the rubber band idea too! Great minds think alike, eh?) The part number for the changer is unfortunately a Ford number. F6LF-18C830-AB Date code of June, 1996 - Serial# 19409 Hopefully that's of some use. There are Sony numbers on some of the circuitboards inside: all boards reference "F6VF/F6LF/F68F" so I'd guess that's the important bit. and we're talking about a 12cm long, rubber roller that moves the disc from the transport to the magazine, and back. maybe a "loader roller?"
Unfortunately, it looks like I've got some time to get this fixed. After a couple 80 degree days, we got a cold snap, and they re-salted all the roads. It looks like she's staying in the garage for now. :(

No dice on the Sony Parts....I guess Sony made the changers for Ford, but never supplied actual "parts", they would just rebuild the entire unit when sent in.

He is a Sony service rep. for headunits and stuff, but he said even with those, its hard to get those parts.

He gave me this website and said they sell Sony parts for changers and stuff and recommended emailing them with a picture possibly and they may be able to help.

pacparts.com

If they don't have anything, let me know, I still have my factory 95 Changer that gave me a "NO CD" error, which I've learned is just a .05v fuse in the housing, but I had already installed an aftermarket changer. If you can't find the roller, let me know, I'll replace said fuse and if its still bad, I'll tear into it and find that "roller". Post a picture on here when you get a chance so we know what it looks like, others may/will have the same problem you're having in the future.

A friend/member has a similar issue with his, but its ONLY when you put a CD in slot 1. If he leaves that empty, the changer will work fine and eject properly. Maybe give that a try too.

Back