1994 Mark VIII JBL Amplifier...Problems?!

Fife

Registered
I have a 1994 Mark VIII. The stereo has been acting up for some time. Popping and cracking in the speakers. I have tried two other amps that I purchased on Ebay and each of them seem to have the same but slightly different issues; popping, crackeling, or no sound from door tweeters.

I have been told that the amps are to blame. Has anyone had a similar experience and how did you correct the problem? Could I be that unlucky to keep buying defective amps or is there something else wrong?

Another problem is the 10 disk CD player will not play a cd. It temporarily loads it and then moves on; never playing the disk.

Also, has anyone changed out the system? I am considering changing out the head unit and putting in a high powered one (with a built in single cd player). Then running the speaker wires from it back to the amp and splicing in to the speaker wires at that point (bypassing the amp altogether). Will this work and which head units make a good fit?

Thanks for your help!!!

John

That sounds like bad amplifiers to me.

I went through two amps. They both had the popping crackling noise that stopped, when I changed the amps.

its very rare, but sometimes the head unit will do the same exact thing. 9 times out of 10 it is the amp, but since you tried twice, try another head unit this time. its only one or the other. there is the chance you bought two bum amps too!

If your tired of messing w/factory syst. e-bay (auto stereos dept. has a few vendors that sell amp. by-pass kits.) the brand name part numbers are METRA 70-5514 and SCOSCHE FDK2B. these will allow you to use a high power head unit w/your factory wiring. (no cutting plugs ect so you can return to stock if desired) I've had a hard time finding a plug and play to a aftermarket amp. system. I decided on a stock look so I'm gathering parts for a mach 1000 syst. for my 95. (which is proving to be a pain also) the part numbers I provided are for factory JBL premium syst. 95-96. if your syst. is the standard syst.it will be easier than for mine! look at your plugs carefully(I took pictures of mine both the plug and back of stereo so it would be easier to match-up to the vendor supplied ones)my brother has a JBL 94 style but some one butchered his harnesses so I could'nt tell if his were the same as mine or not. hope this helps

Thanks for the help...it looks like I might have a good option. Any other input is appreciated as well. I will check back later. Thanks, John

When I picked up my 93 the stereo had power, but there was no sound coming out. I figured it was the amp almost 100%. Replaced the amp and still nothing:( I swapped decks anyhow to my TV deck and still nothing. Ended up running all new speaker wire to fix the no sound problem, but never experienced any cracking or popping.

Amp Bypass Kit for 1994 Lincoln with JBL System?

Amp Bypass Kit for 1994 Lincoln with JBL System?

Has anyone successully installed an amp bypass kit on a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII with the JBL system?

I need the part number of a kit that will fit the 1994 model. I think the connectors on some of the (newer than 1994) JBL amps are different. The amp looks the same but the connectors are not the same.

I am planning to install a Kenwood high power head unit and I want to bypass the amp because they are not very reliable.

Thanks, Fife

The inputs from the radio to the gen 2 amp are different than the gen 1 amp. The output plugs are the same.

I just connected a gen 2 amp in my red Mark. I spliced in a pigtail from a gen 2 for the input connector.:)

Billcu,

So the 1994 and earlier amp is Gen 1 and the 1995 on up is the Gen 2? Sounds like your familiar with the difference in connectors. Are you familiar with the amp bypass kits? Will I need to splice a pigtail from a Gen 2 to make the amp bypass kit work, or do you think there might be an amp bypass kit for the Gen 1? I am really trying to find out as much as I can before I place orders for equipment. Thanks for the advice...Fife

I'm not familiar with amp bypass kits but you can probably buy one for the gen 1 or gen 2.

The only reason I converted to a gen 2 amp is because I already had one.

Back