Help Me Please

RonB

Registered
:confused: I know this isn't in the right spot but im in the middle of installing my rear springs and would like to know if the flat part of the spring goes down or up and witch way should I turn the spring thanks Ron :confused:

Ok, with the cup would mean that flat goes on the bottom because the cup holds the top of the coil in. Face the drivers side coil(the VERY end where it stops) towards the FRONT of the car, and face the passengers side coil to the REAR of the car. Or do the complete opposite, do NOT face both coil ends the same direction.

Yep. What happends is if you stand the coils on flat ground(with the flat side down), there is a point on the top where the coil spring ends. It is the highest point of the spring because the backs(on a Mark8) don't have flat ends on both sides, so if you look at it, the coil spring is just cut off. If you set both coil springs side by side they will be the same height, but on the car, the portion of the subframe where the top of the coil sits is at a slight angle, leaning away from the top of the spring.

So....since both sides of the subframe have that same angle, if you position the coils wrong, the highest point of the coil spring is going to be sitting on the angled part of the subframe in a different spot. This will change the height of the back of the car by probably 1/2" from side to side.

Think of it like the hood alignment bump stops, one half of a turn and it corkscrews out and will raise the hood. Same affect, but with a coil spring.

(For reference only, these aren't M8 springs) Here you can see how the coil just stops and is slightly higher than the other side of that same coil.
Bobs049.jpg

This shows how the "weight" is spread even among the two springs when they are faced in the opposite direction.(the spring on the left is slightly higher than the one on the right, not part of the demonstration)
Bobs047.jpg

This shows how the "weight" is spread un-even on just the end of the left side coil spring, also note how unlevel the clipboard is now.
Bobs048.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I just finshed the front struts and I have to say the front was alot easyer then the rear. There was more to do with the front but came apart and went back together easy. I haven't drivin it yet to say I like it LOL but I do have one regret and that is I wish I bought the lower kit sits a little to high anyway the conversion went in with oput a prob.

Wait until you get a few thousand miles on the new springs....then if you think they are STILL too high, you can do as J did and cut then down.

ok a quick question Im tryin to shut the check air ride warning off the instrutions say cut the dark green wire with light green stripe I cut the wire I thought was it but after I looked closer it was green with yellow stripe (light yellow might I add looked green) I checked J's discription on how to do this but I was confused with what to cut and what not to cut if someone can help that would be great Thanks

Ok ive been driving the car for a couple days now with the spring conversion and I have to say im impressed feels really good and comfy I think the car handles better to I can't wait untill my bushing kit gets here I now have a very loud skreching noise coming from the front when I turn the wheel like worn out bushings I feel like a bought the money pit of cars here

NEW noise or did it do this before the conversion?

Money pit.....please. Would you rather pay 500+ a month for a luxury car of the same caliber?

The noise happend befor the coils ands its relly loud when I make turns at slow speeds its there but I just looked at the tracking of my bushings and they should be here tuesday (tomaorow) wooo hooo :big-grin: I hope this will solve the noise and pulling prob. one more thing the rubber mat that came with the rear coils dose that go on the bottom or top ?????

Rubber mat....bottom to the spring doesn't "dig" into the lower control arm.

I foresee the bushings not being the cause of your noise, sorry.

Back