Coil Spring Spacers and Proper Sway Bar Links....

J

OCCUPY LoD :)
OK.....I swore I posted this here.

March 8th.....

After almost 3 hours of IM'n Jamie last night, while sending me links of Cheech and Chong up in smoke, pics of the 2 98's, and a ton of other talk, he mentioned alluminum Coil Spring Spacers after I complained about the car being a tad low in the front since it's settle quite a bit. I stopped by AutoZone on the way home from helping a friend install a starter and they had exactly what he was talking about. And guess what....right above it was a ton of Energy Sway Bar Link kits! So...I killed two birds with one stone!

I installed the 1 1/2" spacers up front, and fixed my rear sway bar angle real quick tonight. Here are some pics so you can get a visual!

The day I installed the Hubs/Brakes/Wheels, notice the fender-tire gap...
88252486533.jpg

See the sag.......notice the front fender now(on a hill, but doesn't change when flat)
PIC069.jpg

PIC734.jpg

PIC732.jpg

PIC736.jpg

Ok....how many of you have to do this to get a slim floor jack under your car!?!?
PIC741.jpg

PIC742.jpg

Crap....I think I installed them wrong!! haha j/k the jack is on the other side of the car....
PIC745.jpg

PIC751.jpg

PIC752.jpg

Now it sits where it should....the rocker panels level with the ground again!

Here are the rear sway bar pics.....the kit I bought was a guestimate on size...I went and layed under my car in the parking lot and used my finger for size measurement.

More proof that you want things parallel.....glad Craig told me when I bought the bar...wait...he didn't! Haha...Luv you Buddy!
PIC737.jpg

PIC735.jpg

PIC740.jpg

Comparison to stock....
PIC746.jpg

I cut a tad bit more off because the angle was still slightly off.....
PIC747.jpg

Finished product.....NOTICE the extra section I cut off used under the lock nut, I did this because the threads would have bottomed out when tightening and the links would have been WAY loose.
PIC749.jpg

PIC750.jpg

Lol....ban me and it'll pop up in another forum somewhere else, haha. :love-it:

*waves hand* "You will NOT get on sleep with the enemy tonight Max, you will come back to the light and join your fellow M8'rs."

*waves hand* "You will NOT get on sleep with the enemy tonight Max, you will come back to the light and join your fellow M8'rs."

It is too late... I have a blue enemy inside my garage waiting... It wears an evil bowtie... it hows at me every morning

no more is the righteous silver star shining on me.

Lol....good interpertation :D Actually I was talking about the "dark side" M8 people(other forum) in responce to your "dark mind" post, haha.

I like your Vette....there I said it! You guys happy now?! I bet I'll like it more when you video tape me doing a donut in front of my house, haha!

I stopped by AutoZone on the way home from helping a friend install a starter and they had exactly what he was talking about. And guess what....right above it was a ton of Energy Sway Bar Link kits! So...I killed two birds with one stone!

Now it sits where it should....the rocker panels level with the ground again!

Here are the rear sway bar pics.....the kit I bought was a guestimate on size...I went and layed under my car in the parking lot and used my finger for size measurement.

More proof that you want things parallel.....glad Craig told me when I bought the bar...wait...he didn't! Haha...Luv you Buddy!

I cut a tad bit more off because the angle was still slightly off.....

That sway bar angle is very important. Your car will handle funny if that angle is more than 10 degrees or so off of 90. I also had to purchase that same exact link set when I lowered my car.

Also, are you aware that the rear is supposed to sit about 1/4" lower than the front? (As measured from bottom of rim (or top) to bottom of fender.)

I drove for a YEAR with my sway bar angle off.....I didn't know anything about it, lol. It was just bouncy in the front, but didn't handle wierd.

By "rear" do you mean the rear of the car?

I drove for a YEAR with my sway bar angle off.....I didn't know anything about it, lol. It was just bouncy in the front, but didn't handle wierd.

By "rear" do you mean the rear of the car?

Yes, rear of the car.

I noticed a difference because I drove with it at an angle for a while. It wasn't atrocious, just a bit...unpredictable. After replacing the links, the car was a lot more predictable.

Probably different on a stock car with air vs. my 3" drop on springs, but the only complaint I really had was that I didn't notice a change when I installed the bar, and the front of the car was just bouncy when going over big dips or "waves" on the freeway. After I put the links on, the back of the car would "drop" over bumps and the front would only bounce once. HUGE difference though......wish I would have known about it earlier....It would have saved a lot of undercarraige damage.

Back