crack in block

badmofo666

Registered
I recently got a Mark VIII block from a junkyard that was in an accident. After taking off the cracked timing cover, sprockets and chains off, I found a very small crack on the front of the block, on what looked like a little copper pin sticking out of the block(dont really know how to describe it) Anyways if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I was wondering if this would be a problem, though this area would not receive any stress.

Also, there is a crack on the outside of one of the engine bellhousing holes, would this be a problem since all the rest are fine and it is only on the outside, not affecting the main part of the block?

RE: crack in block

I'd take it back and get another block. Those may not be a problem but it's still a crack in your block.

I'd say the one in the back of the block could become a problem, although it may not be now. This is only because there is stress between the motor and transmssion, and could cause the crack to elongate over time.

Ok, I talked to my uncle who's used to be a welder, and he knows a guy with a shop and a tig welder. He said the engine/bellhousing crack may become a problem so he's gonna weld it and re-tap it for free. good deal.

I don't know if the crack was caused in an accident, or from the engine stand, but I didn't notice it till it was on the engine stand. Is there anything I could do to prevent this the next time I bolt it up?

That is exactly what I did to a recent block. Make sure you prep the area correctly, bolt the heads onto the block, and make sure the main caps are torqued down before you weld it up.

Back