Addco on a Town Car - Good Idea???

Davemcc

Registered
I was just wondering if anybody had used Addco sway bars on their Town Car and what the results were. I know Addco is good quality as I put a set of 1-3/8" on my old Mark VIII and I wouldn't hesitate to use their product again. Addco lists a 1-1/4" front and 1" rear for the Town Car, but I don't know the stock size or if the stock is hollow. I guess what I'm looking to find out is whether new sway bars will make a significant improvement over the current diving through the corners.

Generally speaking, of course the sway bar would help the cornering. I know it has been done but I have never rode in one that has to evaluate the ride. I would think there would be a compromise, so I would hesitate to go overboard with the larger one.

The towncar has a straight axle, where as the Mark VIII has IRS. As the matter of fact they have Crown Vics (same car chassis and powertrain wise) driving around without swaybars from the factory.

I would think that a sway-bar would help with the body lean...

The best MOD for TC/CV/GM is billstein shocks! The car will handle much better.

Last edited:
I found where the stock sway bar should be 18mm. Pretty small in my opinion. I would recommend the 1" Addco as an upgrade.

Yea the stock sway on the ones with the "sport" or "handling" packages, is tiny. I desperatly tried to firm up the ride in the CV so Dr J changed out the rear springs to police springs since I could simply push down on the car in the back and almost bottom it out. Also Dr J put in some Monroe shocks... ride is back to factory but it is still very soft.

I would think that a sway bar would stiffen things up in the back.

Thanks for the flood of replies. I think I'll check out the pricing and give it a try if it's reasonable. I'm thinking of going with the front and rear, because I can always go back to stock easily if I want. It's not like a mark VIII where you have to separate the engine and drop the cradle to do the fronts.

Back