Traction Assist

mrrobertstv

Registered
What is it and what does it do?

I know it sound like a dumb question but I am looking for the tech part of the story.::uh::

RE: Traction Assist

1st gens, it applies the breaks in the rear when it senses lost of traction (both at the same time, regardless which is slipping) Till about 20 or 25 MPH, then your on your own.

2nd Gens: the above, plus all-speed trac control and the utilization of engine breaking to assist, and to avoid overheating the breaks.

Newer cars: All the above plus applying breaks to the individual wheel losing traction, instead of both.

I hope I didnt forget anything.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
does this still work on gen 1's if you add a trak-lok rearend?
[/div]

yes

When you loose traction is the lincoln suppose to may some weird noise up front like a growling noise. Also I noticed the weekend in the snow when I applied the brakes my brake pedal went down to the floor and there was some noise a i felt the brake pedal pulsating? Jut curoius never really had T/C and abs before

When you loose traction is the lincoln suppose to may some weird noise up front like a growling noise. Also I noticed the weekend in the snow when I applied the brakes my brake pedal went down to the floor and there was some noise a i felt the brake pedal pulsating? Jut curoius never really had T/C and abs before
[/div]

Im guessing your ABS engaged?

Pulsating Brake pedal is definitely the way ABS works. When your wheels lock up, the system quickly engages and disengages the brakes to try to re-gain traction.

Brent

Newer cars: All the above plus applying breaks to the individual wheel losing traction, instead of both.I hope I didnt forget anything.
[/div]

According to the service manual, second gens apply the brakes to the individual rear wheel that's losing traction:

The traction control system:

[ul]
[li]Is operational when the ignition switch is in the RUN position.
[li]Can be disabled by the driver entering the Traction Control OFF setting in the vehicle message center. The traction control system will reset and return to the Traction Control ON setting when the ignition switch is cycled.
[li]Is governed by the anti-lock brake control module.
[li]Applies and releases the appropriate rear brake to reduce wheelspin and aid traction if one or both rear wheels lose traction and begin to spin during acceleration.
[li]Interacts with the powertrain control module to reduce engine torque if one or both rear wheels lose traction and begin to spin during acceleration.
[li]Automatically stops traction control system cycling if the brakes are manually applied during traction control system operation.
[li]If in operation continually on slippery roads, the anti-lock brake control module may disable the system to prevent overheating of the rear brakes. The message center will display TRACTION CONTROL DISABLED.
[li]When the cool down time limit expires traction control is restored. (Anti-lock braking is fully functional during the cool down period.)
[li]When the traction control system is disabled either by the driver or by the anti-lock brake control module, both rear brake modulation and engine torque modulation are disabled.
[li]With the traction control system on, brake modulation to the spinning wheel is achieved by the anti-lock brake control module closing the isolation valves to the non-affected wheels and running the pump motor that provides hydraulic pressure for brake modulation to the spinning wheel.
[li]Engine torque modulation is achieved by the anti-lock brake control module interacting with the powertrain control module to regulate fuel and spark.
[ul]

On the gen 1's, you can't disable it while it's active. I tried once, ended up overheating it and making it disable itself.

On gen 2's, it's active for at least 6 seconds every time it's applied. Which really sucks when you forget to turn it off and give it some gas off the line. You can feel the power come back when it finally shuts off.

Back