Shift kit/Jmod/Chip

NickT88LSC

Registered
I have a question, well a few.

I have a 94, has a Diablo chip which firmed up the shifts, mostly the 1-2. I am thinking of a shift kit or Jmod.

Is one better than the other??

Will either be too much with the chip?? Shift too harsh???

What stages or settings are good??? I dont want it too harsh during normal driving, like chirping every shift, firm is good, jolting the entire car when driving normal=not good.

If I do a shift kit would probably be the Baumann, I have done alot of them in AOD's with success.

Also while there will do the 96 up pan, 1-2 accumulator already done, need to check the 2-3 one.

Also, while getting the tranny set for future car mods I want to do the tailshaft lube mod. After reading the how to I still do not know where you are going to connect the line to to get the additional fluid. All the drilling and 90 degree fitting is easy to follow, but I dont see where it tells you to connect it.

Thanks,

Nick

RE: Shift kit/Jmod/Chip

Skip the tailshaft lube mod. It's a pain in the arse and i ended up with leaks. I finally just pulled it all off.

I'd go with the j-mod over a shift kit.

Harshness depends. What do you consider too harsh? If you get the j-mod, then decide later to get a better chip, you can have it shift as hard or as soft as you'll likely want.

>Is one better than the other??

I have the Baumann shift kit. I asked the same questions and after driving two Mark VIII's with the Baumann kit, I was convinced that's what I wanted.

>Will either be too much with the chip?? Shift too harsh???

I have a chip which did improve the shifts somewhat prior to the shift kit. Combined thay are great IMHO. Normal throttle and you can hardly tell any difference from before even though the shifts are crisp and not sluggish as the factory shift. But WOT you had better have some good traction under you when you hit the 1-2 shift!

>What stages or settings are good??? I dont want it too harsh during normal driving, like chirping every shift, firm is good, jolting the entire car when driving normal=not good.

I had the exact same concerns. After driving a Mark VIII with the shift kit at max - I was convinced to do the same. Some torque settings were less than max as advised per the excellent instructions. I went medium on the 1-2 accumulator swapping the supplied springs.

>Also while there will do the 96 up pan, 1-2 accumulator already done, need to check the 2-3 one.

Ditto. I got the deep dish '96 pan with drain plug and with accompanying filter. I already had the 1-2 accumulator upgrade & did the 2-3 accumulator upgrade at the time of the shift kit.

Even though I have 4.10s, I have not done the tailshaft lube mod. FWIW I had 96 track runs with the 4.10s in '04. :D

Wow, you run the heck outta the car. I am in the same direction as you as far as mods. I have a center section I am going to put 4:10's and a posi in, I need to get driveshaft also mine is 2 piece, so may take a little while to get everything done. Hopefully ready for opening of race season. Gotta get the trans stuff done, then move on.

BTW, what is the fastest your car ran??? Is it the 14.54 on your homepage???

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
BTW, what is the fastest your car ran??? Is it the 14.54 on your homepage???
[/div]

Yes it is. I came very close to besting it a couple times in the fall but never had all the right conditions. For a one year wonder, I'm happy. :) I hope to be in the 13 second club / 100 mph club sometime next season.

Seen this thread? http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/d...pic&forum=25&topic_id=6423&mesg_id=6423&page=

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]BTW, what is the fastest your car ran??? Is it the 14.54 on your homepage???[/div]Yes it is. I came very close to besting it a couple times in the fall but never had all the right conditions. For a one year wonder, I'm happy. :) I hope to be in the 13 second club / 100 mph club sometime next season.Seen this thread? http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/d...pic&forum=25&topic_id=6423&mesg_id=6423&page=
[/div]

now i am pissed, I have the same stuff as you do and I know my cars not getting into the 13's. although I have a 3k stall maybe upgrading that to a 3500. speaking of that I gottta look up info on that 3500k stall, if it makes any diff in 1/4 times as opposed to 3000

now i am pissed, I have the same stuff as you do and I know my cars not getting into the 13's. although I have a 3k stall maybe upgrading that to a 3500. speaking of that I gottta look up info on that 3500k stall, if it makes any diff in 1/4 times as opposed to 3000
[/div]

Notice I said 'hope' to be in the 13 second club / 100 mph club sometime next season. Of course this is planning on a high stall torque converter, electric water pump, a new chip and/or dynotune, possibly underdrive pulleys, and hopefully a modified intake.

Back