Found more than the plastic plug in the tranny pan!

WackyWRZ

Registered
Well, my cars got 145K on it, and its been about 20K sence the last fluid change, so I thought what the hell, I'll change it with some Mercon V because I have been getting shudder from the TC.... Got the pan off and found 3 valve body bolts stuck to the magnet!! I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: holy $*!#!!! That and the filter was floating in the pan. Well, I figured where the bolts went, tightened them in with a stubby little 1/4" drive ratchet, and gave all the otheres a quick 1/16th of a turn just to make sure.

I put her all back together and filled it up, and went to drive it. Now I didn't get the rumble strips in Lockup anymore, now I get them on the 1-2 shift or if I put it in "2" and start out!! I thought this can't be good, so I kept driving, and it got gradually better and better. Now 3 days later there's no rumbling or nothing, shifts fine. I am thinking it was because the properties of the fluid are different, or I may have overtightened the valve body.

I figure now I am on borrowed time, but how much do you all think I borrowed??? After researching around, I find a '98 trans local for $800 (60K miles) or a '97 for $260 (21K miles) I think I am bent on the '97 for that price difference. That and a Baumann Kit I figure will give me another 2 years out of the car at least!! Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appriciated as always!!

RE: Found more than the plastic plug in the tranny pan!

It's not unusual for it to take a few miles to get rid of the 'rumble strip' effect. It's the clutches still saturated with the old fluid that takes a while to change. Since the lock-up clutch is smaller in area it can lead to recurring shudder regardless of fluid change intervals. If that's the case a new torque converter will cure that.

If the tranny shifts fine and holds in the selected gear, I wouldn't panic.

I forget the torque value, but it is always a good idea to retorque valve body bolts at transmission filter maintenance intervals.

I was under the impression that the rumble effect was from TC Lockup in O/D. I am not getting it from lockup now, I am getting it from actual 2nd gear!! I also notice that it will attempt to go into lockup even in 3rd gear for some reason. Also, when cruising on the interstate, I cal tell theres a LOT of slip in OD/Lockup, probably needs a new TC.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
... Also, when cruising on the interstate, I cal tell theres a LOT of slip in OD/Lockup, probably needs a new TC.
[/div]

NOT a good sign unfortunately.

Back