O/D wont shut off

vernonz_426

Registered
im not really sure what i need to do the button on the shifter in my '93 mark will not shut the overdrive off. i hate the way it feels when it shifts into overdrive around town is sets around a grand and just sounds bad.
thanks,
zack

RE: O/D wont shut off

Zack, the wiring is most likley broken inside the console in the shift handle area. It's an easy DIY fix usually.

The button switch is a normally open momentary switch to ground which signals the PCM to allow or not allow 4th gear which is overdrive at 0.7:1 ratio. The wiring that goes up the inner part of the shifter handle is small and usually gets broken at the base of the shift lever from the incessant flexing.

If you do a search, you can find instructions posted on removing the console(and shifter handle if necessary) to allow access for the repair.

On a rare occasion, the button switch itself could actually be broken.

thanks JP im at school right now and as soon as i get out of here im going to look to see if i can find that wire. you answer a lot of the questions posted on here and i was just wondering how u know so much about these cars
zack

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
you answer a lot of the questions posted on here and i was just wondering how u know so much about these cars
[/div]

Trial by FIRE.. AKA "Ownership"
*HAHA*

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]you answer a lot of the questions posted on here and i was just wondering how u know so much about these cars[/div]Trial by FIRE.. AKA "Ownership"*HAHA*
[/div]

HaHa! True, for the most part.

There's people here that know a lot more than I, especially them darn Gen2s. ;)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong][div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]you answer a lot of the questions posted on here and i was just wondering how u know so much about these cars[/div]Trial by FIRE.. AKA "Ownership"*HAHA*[/div]HaHa! True, for the most part. There's people here that know a lot more than I, especially them darn Gen2s. ;)
[/div]

Yes, but the Gen1 owners seem to have problems the Gen2 owners don', and vice versa. :B

Back