TC Install Questions

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
Spring will eventually get here(it snowed this past weekend) and the mods to the '93 will begin in earnest again.

I called a local tranny shop that was recommended to me to have the high stall converter put in. Unfortunately, they declined, stating they only install OEM or their own converters. So much for that.

My question is, how difficult is this for a DIY job on the Mark VIII? No lift, no special tools, just basic air and hand tools, floor jack and stands.

Can the tranny just be slid back enough to R&R the converter or does the whole thing have to come down and out?

RE: TC Install Questions

Whole thing has to come out, but it's not that hard.

Get the car up on jack stands all around, drop the exhaust, lower the gas tank and remove the driveshaft. unhook the stuff that connects to the trans (cooler lines and electrical connectors). remove the starter, remove the plate that covers the bottom part of the front of the bellhousing, and undo the torque converter bolts (alternately, you can just pull the tranny back further off the torque converter, but that's not really recommended if you want to reuse the torque converter). you'll have to turn the engine over by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley up front to get all the torque converter bolts.

Then you just have to remove the bellhousing bolts and the crossmember bolts and down she comes. A jack, some wood, and another pair of hands are a good thing to have at that point.

One of my friends has an 18" extension, which is very helpful in getting the top bellhousing bolts. 18" extension + swivel + impact = easy.

John if your gonna take down your transmisson you may as well replace your EGR tube too its about 50 bucks and easy to replace while the tranny is out and you might have new clutches installed too and one of those machanical diodes in place of the old second gear sprag (thats what was wrong with my trans) itsa heck of a job to do twice
I removed mine it was not to bad I used a 12" 2x6 duct taped to my floor jack cup and it work perfectly as a tranny jack I lifted my car on 4 jackstands as high as they would go I had no trouble
if you don't have your tranny gone through I would at least get a new transmisson front seal
if you have any trouble buzz me im in the book

If I were you, I would just give up on the whole thing. }(

"I removed mine it was not to bad I used a 12" 2x6 duct taped to my floor jack cup and it work perfectly as a tranny jack I lifted my car on 4 jackstands as high as they would go I had no trouble"

That's a good idea, i might have to try that.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
If I were you, I would just give up on the whole thing. }(
[/div]

ROTFL :7

I think you've been talking to my boss keeping my schedule loaded up?

just takes time. Even John could accomplish this task. Most important part is to make SURE that the convertor is all the way on the tranny splines before putting it back in.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
well John did you give up on the TC ?
[/div]

Not yet. If I can enlist some help I may tackle it. If not, I'm going to have to take a road trip to a speed shop. If I do that, I'll probably get a dynotune while I'm there. Meanwhile, I'll carry on with other mods and make do with what I have. ;)

Back