How do you know if the Power Steering is Going Out

scotty96lsc

Registered
I was wondering how to tell if the power steering is going out. My car turns and handles fine, no steering fluid leaks, yet a friend at work said when I pulled into the lot, he heard a noise similar to a sound a power steering unit makes when it is going out. Whatever that sound is, I would have no idea. Any help is appreciated.

RE: How do you know if the Power Steering is Going Out

70,000 sounds way too early to have burnt up the pump, unless it's spent 70,000 miles LOW on fluid.

You might want to flush and fill your Power Steering and see if that makes the noise go away.

I wonder if it's really making a noise, or were you holding the steering wheel hard against the end of it's travel, when the pump WILL make the "sound they make when they are going out".

Do you turn your steering wheel ALL they way and then HOLD IT THERE?

If not.. Flush and fill.. and listed

if SO... STOP IT!
haha

Lucas makes a good power steering fluid with additives. Get a couple bottles, drain the resevoir, refill, drive a while and repeat.

I have a few comments about the drain and refill reservoir method. I have personally done it about 6 times on my mark (96 110k miles) and about 10 times on my cougar (93 103k miles). Although it does get some of the fluid out most will remain in the system. I only see about a 50% improvement in the fluid color on the mark and a 60% improvement in the cougar, although steering response has improved dramatically. I think it might be a better idea to get it professionally flushed at the dealer for $69-$99.

I was wondering about that "draining" deal. I wouldn't attempt it unless I could be sure I was purging the whole system. I like the idea of a professional approach. I'll see what my neighbor, the Ford Mechanic, has to say.

And yes, I think my friend heard my while I had my wheels turned hard right do the olde "loop-around-and-park" deal. I usually don't do that.

I suggest removing both lines at the steering rack, and turning the wheel back and forth with the car shut off multiple times. Then hook it back up and refill, turn the wheels a couple times, start the car, turn them some more, top it off, and it should be good to go. Probably still isn't a 100% exchange, but if you do that a couple times it's about as good as you're going to get.

Back