Intake PROBLEM

D Day

Registered
I installed the intake yesterday and finished up the vaccum lines today. in the procces of removing the onld intake I broke the egr tubing where it starts to look like an accordian. I am having a huge ible problem, it surges hard and I can feel it/see itWould the EGR cause such a huge problem? I have a feeling this part is going to be discontinued so I might need to get a egr Delet kit only problem is I live in california"smog nazi"

I am very sad, all my time and effort for nothing. can some one please help!
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/280000-280999/280293_34.jpg
[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________
94 Mark VIII
David J

RE: Intake PROBLEM

Although I guess a ruptured EGR tube could cause idle issues, it sounds like a vacuum leak or IAC issue.

The EGR delete kit doesn't have a C.A.R.B. number. }(

Cap off the egr at the manifold. Exhaust leak there will cause a poor idle. You don't have to worry about the other side since it's blocked by the EGR valve. The fitting on the manifold takes a 22mm plug.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
whats a carb #
[/div]

California Air Resources Board

They approve aftermarket emission devices for use in California. If approved, they issue it an approval number.

... The fitting on the manifold takes a 22mm plug.
[/div]

Plug or cap? My EGR delete kit was furnished with a cap. ::wtf::

Theoretically the EGR valve should be closed at idle, so any "Accordian" leak should not affect idle, only make noise. I would start looking for a vacuum leak. Are you sure your intake tube is sealed well around the throttle body, and that the PVC "T" fitting isn't rotted out?

mark

Would the fact that the the intake is now ported create a ROUGH idle.
[/div]

I wouldn't think.

But a stuck open EGR valve would, with or without a leak in the tube.

Somewhere you have un-metered air is my guess. Some possibilities include:
- Intake tube seal @ throttle body
- MAF/Filter box seal
- Broken vacuum line
- Open EGR valve

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=61
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=43

I wish you were my neighbor John. I replaced the IAC valve this morning and it made a world of difference. I bought the tube that connects the EGR to the exhaust manifold, it was about $100. I took the car to the dealer since they said they would install it for about $100, I was thinking the tube would have cost $200 by it self. There is still a surge present but since I replaced the ICA it became drivable. I got on it around the block and it does seem to have a little more juice in it, or it just might be that I haven't driven my baby for about a week.
Should I have told the dealer that I ported the intake? I didn't.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/280000-280999/280293_34.jpg
[i/]______________________Mark of the Cobra______________________
94 Mark VIII
David J

... Should I have told the dealer that I ported the intake? I didn't.
[/div]

Think it through... porting and polishing simply removes deficiencies and increase flow. That's why it is done. Assuming the flow is fully metered(there are no leaks) and assuming the MAF isn't maxed out(not a concern at idle), the EEC will compensate fuel/timing for up to +/- 25% or so of baseline parameters through adaptive strategy. If you have no vacuum leaks or other unmetered air, it should still idle and ultimately improve through several driving cycles.

The primary concern is proper function of the sensors(including oxygen sensors) and actuators(including EGR) for optimum idle control. At cold idle, the CPS, ECT and ACT sensors control the spark/fuel/IAC. At warm idle the TPS and O2 sensors contribute. The EGR would normally be closed as mentioned, but if it is open(full or partially) it will be adding air not accounted for.

I don't think it matters whether or not the dealer knows the intake is ported.

BTW, you just confirmed my decision to replace the IAC and TPS during the install of my future intake.

Back