On to the fun stuff...

PHRANQUY

Registered
Well, for those of you who don't know already, Saturday as I was leaving Back To The 50's, huge car show up here at the MN State Fairgrounds, I toasted my transmission. As we were getting closer to my parking spot it was getting progressively worse to drive....well, needles to say the rest of my driving Saturday wasn't all that fun if I had to come to a stop. Stopped in to a local shop owner this morning, he had a look at my car, and it's time for a rebuild. By the time I got it to his shop 2nd gear was on it's way out as well.

All I have to say is this:

Lincoln + 4.6L 4V motor + 4.10 gears + 3350 stall converter is gonna play hell on my tires. Guess I'll be running around on my drag radials for the rest of the summer..... }(

Can't wait to start sprayin'!

Watch out Mustangs/F-bodies....here I come.::grrr::

RE: On to the fun stuff...

why rebuild when you can get a late model gt trans cheaper and I would trust it much more than 90% of the trans shops which are rip offs. Seriously think about not rebuilding and just doing the jmod to a nice late model (99+) 4r70w, they will take some serious abuse.

Um, because i had a J-moded 98+ (mechanical diode started in vehicles produced in '98) transmission and it failed.

I am having it built to Jerry's specs based on the article on TCCoA.

well that's a good reason!! You already ave a good trans. It might be a lot cheaper to get a good used one and beef it up then do a rebuild on yours. Rebuilds always seem to be $1800. :B Good luck!

An thats where knowing the owner of a reputable transmission shop always seems to come in handy. Only thing he doesn't want to do, which I will do eventually, is the forced tailshaft lube mod....I will only be doing this because I want to be able to road race/auto-x/open track my car for the 20+ minute sessions without worrying about my tailshaft bushing.

Get the '99 valve body, you will be able to downshift(at speed) without damage to the tranny. It was redesigned to handle this kind of pressure dump into the valve body. This should be beneficial for road race\auto-x.

I will be doing that after I do the first drain/fill. My valvebody has already been recalibrated, so I'm not in a huge hurry to yank it. Transmission is going back into the car today or tomorrow morning anyways, so there isn't enough time to get anything else done.

Back