Mercedes S-550 vs my MK8

Too Many Cars

Registered
Today I was actually driving my 06 Mustang GT with a few mods not my MK8. My best 1/4 mile time in that car is 13.10 at 105 MPH but I only ran it one afternoon and the conditions weren't great (really hot and humid!) and I had a tune since then! Well I was in the left lane with a Mercedes following me. I noticed that he decided that he wanted to play because he pulled to the right and floored it to blow by me! Unfortunately I was in 5th gear at the time and decided to downshift to 2nd not actually realizing that I was already going about 55 to 60 MPH already (that overdrive will deceive you believe me!). Needles to say I didn't go anywhere and he was quickly on my side and about to pass me! I instantly put it in third and slowly he stopped passing me and actually started to fall behind. When I was in fourth I shut down because it was clear that I easily had him!

I was surprised that a luxury car like a Mercedes was able to give me a hard time like that in my Mustang! At the next light he pulled by my side at the light and gave me a compliment and told me his car has like 380 HP and he was surprised that I beat him! He also said the he didn't want to try from a stop because he said I would blow him away due to his highway gearing!

Here is my question. My friend that was in my car said that if I had gone to third in the first place it wouldn't have even been a race! He also commented that my Mustang didn't feel much faster from a role than my MK8! I don't know the GPS was in the car and it said a top speed of 127 MPH (I made sure to erase that in case I ever get stopped!) and I had a lot more to go!

My question is would my high 14 second MK8 have a chance from a role with a 380 HP Mercedes which may be heavier than the MK8? I will admit that the Lincoln does feel stronger from a role than from a stop but I don't know? I wish I was driving the MK8 at that time because it might have been interesting! At least if I was in drive it would have picked the correct gear to begin with!

The S550 is a low 14 second car. Nice kill, it has a 7 speed transmission, and your high 14 second Mark VIII wouldn't stand a chance.

German Iron has always been under rated.... the new S is SICK! Especially in black with the AMG wheels... omg the things i'd do for that car.

Check out the S65 amg...
0602_naias_049+2006_mercedes_benz_s550+side_view.jpg

You got me interested enough to look up the specs for the S550; 382 hp @ 6,000 rpm, Net torque 391 lb-ft @ 2,800 - 4,800 rpm (real nice torque curve!), Transmission 7-speed automatic, Rear axle ratio 2.65:1. All pretty impressive for a luxury car; except the rear axel ratio (now I know what he meant when he said that I would blow him away from a dead stop)! If I had 100K burning a hole im my pocket I might consider one! It would have been a lot easier to win the race if it happened from a dead stop as opposed to a roll due to his 2.65:1 gears (even with a seven speed) vs my 3.55:1 gears; that and the fact that I would have been prepared for the race! I would estimate that the S550 would be an easy mid to high 13 second car with better gears in the rear!

I still have to say "What is this world coming to if a big luxury car like a Mercedes S550 keeps you on your toes if you want to beat it in a race! Looking at his power vs displacement and mine, I think that I have him beat though if you compare his 382 flywheel HP for 333 cubes vs my 306 rear wheel HP for 281 cubes. I have to say that the 3V Modular engine in my 06 Mustang did surprise me!

Since I don't want to spend 100K for a car right now maybe I will sink 3K or so in the MK8 so I don't have to worry about an S550!

Nice race, what you have to remember is not only the power numbers from the Merc but also the weight of that car! You easily had him by atleast 600-700 lbs!

You are right on the money comparing the S550 (at 4,270 lbs) with my 06 Mustang there is a 600 to 700 lb difference. The 06 Mustang isn't what I would consider light though! It is only 200 lbs or so lighter than the MK8! I wouldn't say a nice race from my perspective though! I think that he did a much better job than I did because his car runs a full second slower than mine in the 1/4!

Looking at my Car and Driver I see that with the 06 Mustang I now have to worry about the Mercedes S63 AMG which does the 1/4 in 13.0 but it needs 518 hp to do it and it will set you back 136K! If I did get beat by a 136 thousand dollar car I guess that I can live with that. I haven't ran the 1/4 since my dyno tune so I can't say what I can run in the 1/4. Too bad my 82 Mustang is way too radical to drive on the street!

You are really comparing apples and oranges?!

Mustang Vs MB? lol I mean you should be looking at the 350z, S2000... sporty cars... in which case the mustang is faster....

The MB is an amazing piece of engineering for those in the top 1% of the income bracket.... just like Lamborghinis...

You are right! Why should I compare a sub 30K car to something that costs 3 to 4 times as much! As far as the S200 350Z and relatively stock LS1 Camaro's and Firebirds's are concerned I have that covered. When I get the jones to go fast I can tow my 82 Mustang to the track and I am sure that I have the Mercedes, Lambo's and Ferrari's covered there! Unless they start making 9 second Ferrari's!

Last edited:
Back