Deleting IMRC's....

PHRANQUY

Registered
Ok, earlier this year Chris Johnson was up here and tuned my car ('98 Mark VIII)for the second time since I've gotten it (added gears and exhaust since last year). Since the tune, I had to get my transmission rebuilt, so I added the higher stall torque converter....which obviously doesn't reach it's advertised stall speed of 3350 (I've seen it flash to 4000 rpm) until after the IMRC's are open. I have a few spare intakes that I have been working on to see if any gains can be made by improving the airflow (yes, I know I should just swap a Cobra intake, but I'm stubborn and have already started) and plenum volume, and figure before I finish the first one for my testing, since i will have everything pulled off of the heads, is it worth deleting the IMRC butterfly's, or am I better off just leaving them? I plan to leave the controller hooked up so that the car at least thinks they are still there until I can get a new tune next year, or I might drive somewhere to get it re-tuned this year yet.

To recap...I am cleaning up the imperfections/restrictions in the 97/98 Mark VIII intakes (Port match IMRC's, remove air splitter in intake runner, shortening runners (don't ask), increasing the plenum (another don't ask), smoothing ridges in the throttle body, polishing upper intake portion), modifying the IMRC's (removing butterflies, knife edge ports to increase airflow, etc), leaving IMRC controller connected so car thinks it's all there. Will this cause me to need a new tune, or will the car be able to compensate?

If I need a new tune, I'm planning to purchase the X-calibrator 2, or send my computer to re-flash it , but if I don't need one, I will wait 'til next year (or until I add bottled atmosphere) to order it.

Thanks guys. You've all been a great bunch to work with so far.

RE: Deleting IMRC's....

delete them. gen 1 and 2 intakes are a waste of time. buy cobra intake take at least 3 inches of runner off .

hey im not trying to hijack your post but what do you mean my a "fixed" gen 1 intake? i have a 94 mark VIII and i would like to know how to "fix" my intake and what can i expect as far as performance gains by fixing my intake? is their a site that you can link me to that will show me how to fix my intake?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
hey im not trying to hijack your post but what do you mean my a "fixed" gen 1 intake?
[/div]

Perform a search for intake and look for a thread by Ponyfreak on a modified Gen1 intake.

i say leave it.... i had the frpp imrc delete kit on my gen2 with a cobra intake and i did not like it that much. the car felt slugish down low. i did not have 4.10 gears and 3500 stall converter.

I already have the higher stall and the gears though...ths time I spend at RPM's where the IMRC's are closed (3250 and lower) is not very long, especially when I'm at the track.

I suppose that since I have all these spare parts all I can do is try it and see what happens.

Still wondering how this might effect my tune though, if at all.

At the track it will be great. Everywhere else, you will have a hard time driving it, unless the pedal is to the floor. You will also have idle issues (as in, the car will not want to idle at all).

Thanks Eli. You answered my question.

I take it the car can be tuned to compensate for this then, correct?

You should. I expect going through the trouble of doing this will not be worth the minimal benefits, if any benefits are found. Let me know though, for sure.

fwiw stock gen 2 220hp 220tr. add cobra intake 244 hp 254 tr. cobra intake take 2.5 inches runner off plus deletes mid length headers 260 260 hp peaked at 6k. Custom super short runner intake no divider in intake or imrcs secondary ports in heads sleeved to reduce volume plenum volume reduction accufab t.b. sae dynojet (245# @3k 264 @5k 250 @6k torque) peak h.p. was 6300 ish 290! The cams in our cars are crap. My rev limiter is now @ 7500 rpms lol.

Back