OD light flashing

Trixie

Staff member
The Kid installed my shift kit today. He just went out to drive it and says that the OD light is flashing.

Anyone know what this means?

RE: OD light flashing

Bad news usually. The flashing indicator means a fault in the electronic pressure control(EPC) circuit!

What shift kit was used? Was there any change in the EPC? It may just be a bad connection at the EPC solenoid.

I forgot what shift kit it is -- I bought it from Devicemanager back in June - I think it's the one that everyone gets.

OK, the kid says that it's shifting great now, and he's going to drain the pan, and something about connecting something, and making sure it's in there tight. Hopefully it's just a bad connection (most likely). He says he didn't mess with any electronics.

Bauman Engineering kit.

Set to 3, and it's - well, a bit harder than I expected. Feels pretty good under WOT, but just cruising through the neighborhood, it's rather a shock to shift.

Well the valvebody comes off which means unplugging the electronics. I know the later ('96 and up?) used a different wiring harness than the earlier years. It's more like a printed circuit connector than the earlier years with 2 pin connectors for each solenoid.

Hopefully just a bad connection. Check and double check. It would be a good idea as well once back in there to recheck the torque on the valvebody bolts.

K guys, thanks for the help, he'll check that out tomorrow!

actually, only the 98 and later came with the circuit board. 97-pre all have the 'wires".

Sharon, have him make sure the filter didnt drop down, and/or he didnt leave a plug-in loose. Your tranny will have NO wires, as it is a 98.

the OD light can also serve as a CE light for the tranny. anytime it flashes, it means 'electrical'. I am surprised it still shifts...typically when it goes into "flash", it defaults to second gear ONLY.

let us know, ok?

also, I am not familiar with the Baumann kit...but if the tranny it came from was a pre-95, the separator plate will be slightly different( I think) which can cause "issues". What year did devicemanager get the kit for?

Thanks Craig, I just told him to check that stuff. He's still 1/2 asleep, but I'll let you guys know this afternoon what happens.

I thought the shift kit was universal, but IIRC he did have a gen 1. But I know the kid thoroughly read the directions that came with this (he even highlighted things!), so I feel rather confident that this kit would work on my car.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I thought the shift kit was universal, but IIRC he did have a gen 1. But I know the kid thoroughly read the directions that came with this (he even highlighted things!), so I feel rather confident that this kit would work on my car.
[/div]

Highlighted? LOL! I had crib notes on mine... Look here... http://imageevent.com/driller/baumannshiftkit

The kit is sort of universal... there were different gaskets and notes for different years in mine.

Craig, I'm gonna hafta get me a '98 beater just so I can get to know the Gen2 better(and be a member of the Club16). ;)

K, he pushed in some "connecting thing" more and the OD light went away. The electrical connecter wasn't on completely. Man, you guys are good!

He took a shim out to try to soften up the 1/2 shift for me, but now he says it's back to it's old shifting. I'll go take her for a test drive now and see.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Yeah, he did. :+ I think he's going to put the shim back in - the shifts are pretty soft again without it.

You need 10ft or rubber marks on 1-2 shift with these stock tires ... then it's setup correctly. LOL

You need 10ft or rubber marks on 1-2 shift with these stock tires ... then it's setup correctly. LOL
[/div]

That was the way it was set up yesterday. }( I did enjoy it at WOT, it's just that squealing the tires through the neighborhood (when as you know the neighbors already know the sound of my exhaust), wasn't something I was really looking for. Yeah, I'm gonna go for the harder shift now that I don't have to drive her in traffic every day.

[/div]

The kid agrees with you completely, Jeremi - we've been "negotiating" on the set up, lol.

"Sharon, have him make sure the filter didnt drop down, and/or he didnt leave a plug-in loose. Your tranny will have NO wires, as it is a 98."

K, he pushed in some "connecting thing" more and the OD light went away. The electrical connecter wasn't on completely.
[/div]

you mean to tell me I actually know something? wow.

Glad as hell you got it all sorted... BTW, barking the tires in a parking lot at 25 mph is a GOOD thing Sharon! wait till you manually shift it at 5900 rpms at WOT....prepare to "counter steer"!!!

Oh, and "the kid" deserves something HUGE for doing this for ya...

Oh, and "the kid" deserves something HUGE for doing this for ya...
[/div]

You mean like living here for free, being given a Mustang to drive, and being able to use my credit card for gas? :p

No, you're right - I ordered him a bunch of anime movies that he wanted. :+

OK, OK, tomorrow I'll have him readjust to harder shifts. Can't tell if Hubby's gonna be pleased or pissed to see what we've done. }(

FWIW, mine was installed to level 5 and the shifts are directly proportional to the throttle. While not a 'slushy' shift at low speeds it's certainly not what I call harsh. The SCT chip also influences the shifting.

Like Craig says, be wary of going 'sideways' at a WOT 1-2 shift if not on a straight path with good traction. }(

Back