tranney going i think

7 sek mark

Registered
Ok so my 94 has about 164K on the odo still on its first tranney. some people have told me thats its about time for it to go out and it is starting to search quite a bit. So what im trying to figure out is then they go what brakes on them and what needs to be replaced? Can I just rebuild the valve body and fix it or do I need to pull the trans and pull all the guts out and rebuild it? Does any one sell a rebuild kit for my trans? While i have it apart i plan to do the J-Mod to it or is there a better shift kit i should buy?

RE: tranney going i think

If it's just 'searching' - try a new MLPS(Manual Lever Position Sensor).

It will be more than a valve body. At the minimum clutches and more.

IMHO the Baumann shift kit ROCKS! Do a read on the J-Mod at TCCOA and then look here...

http://imageevent.com/driller/baumannshiftkit

... to see what you think.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Ok so my 94 has about 164K on the odo still on its first tranney. some people have told me thats its about time for it to go out and it is starting to search quite a bit. So what im trying to figure out is then they go what brakes on them and what needs to be replaced? Can I just rebuild the valve body and fix it or do I need to pull the trans and pull all the guts out and rebuild it? Does any one sell a rebuild kit for my trans? While i have it apart i plan to do the J-Mod to it or is there a better shift kit i should buy?
[/div]

Typically, the torque converters and the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators tend to go out. But before you do anything, it sounds like you just need to have the fluid replaced. Fluid is not meant to go for 164K miles, and it is probably not Mercon V, unless you had it changed within the last couple years.

If you still have problems after fluid replacement, there are many folks here who can give you further advice.

i changed the fluid and the filter at the end of last school year and i hooked the scan tool up a few weeks ago and the MLPS is reading the right gear. i think it was pony phreak that told me at about 150k they are about dead anyway so i donno wat to do now. I have also printed out the j-mod write up and have read it over a few times and the ford guy at my school said that it would start braking other stuff in a trans this old

i changed the fluid and the filter at the end of last school year and i hooked the scan tool up a few weeks ago and the MLPS is reading the right gear. i think it was pony phreak that told me at about 150k they are about dead anyway so i donno wat to do now. I have also printed out the j-mod write up and have read it over a few times and the ford guy at my school said that it would start braking other stuff in a trans this old
[/div]

About the MLPS, it is easy to replace and is not bank breaking. I'd do it just to rule it out.

About the j-mod, your Ford guy is right. Your tranny will become a timebomb waiting to go off. I'd put my money on your torque converter quitting before you hit 10K after the j-mod.

well im sorry to say that my trans is now the least of my worrys. My check coolant level light came on today when i was leaving my house so i went to put some water in it. Then i looked in the tank and it looked dark so i stuck my finger in it and sure enough OIL in my water x( xo x( . So i think i blew a head gasket ::nono::. so now i need to know how this motor is to rebuild?

Well. I strongly suggest you don't rebuild anything. It is hard to do right and more difficult than what I am suggesting to you.
Just buy a used motor for $500. Some guy was selling a very good used tranny for $300 on this board. If you have the tools just do the swaps yourself and you will be good to go under $1000. If you don't want to spend your next week or so crawling around an old broken mark. Then get yourself another one for under 2k they are out there. And if you don’t' have that kind of money, don't get another mark VIII because they are NOT the most reliable car out there. Yes they are fun, yes they are moderately fast, but there are lots of parts that will go, it is unfortunate to see that two of the main components went on yours at the same time. Also note that the air suspension is another $350+labor culprit once it needs replacement (in your case i would only recommend a coil spring conversion).

Well. I strongly suggest you don't rebuild anything. It is hard to do right and more difficult than what I am suggesting to you.Just buy a used motor for $500. Some guy was selling a very good used tranny for $300 on this board. If you have the tools just do the swaps yourself and you will be good to go under $1000. If you don't want to spend your next week or so crawling around an old broken mark. Then get yourself another one for under 2k they are out there. And if you don’t' have that kind of money, don't get another mark VIII because they are NOT the most reliable car out there. Yes they are fun, yes they are moderately fast, but there are lots of parts that will go, it is unfortunate to see that two of the main components went on yours at the same time. Also note that the air suspension is another $350+labor culprit once it needs replacement (in your case i would only recommend a coil spring conversion).
[/div]

You should be slaped!! The only hard part I see is getting the cams timed right. Even if I do buy another tranny for my car im not going to buy some $300 used junk yard find to have it go out on my a week later. If I buy a tranny it would be a trans able to hole atleast 450 hp and snap your neck on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts! If i can get away with just doing the head gaskets then ill just do that for now, but if not you better beleave that this motor will be worked over and making nothing less than 350 hp at the wheels! If you put coil springs on your mark i would expect you to pop the Mark VIII badges off of your car and replace them with thunderbird cobra badges. Correct me if im wrong but i feal that the bags are what makes it a lincoln and not a t-bird cobra! agen i say you should be slaped for even thinking about telling me to but coils on my mark!!

If all you need is the head gaskets, you'll be fine.

I like your thinking on the tranny. If you're going to keep the car, that's the way to go IMHO. Yeah you can also buy a used engine, but if you really want the power, gonna spend the big bucks, then might as well start from the inside out with what you got.

No need to be slapping people around. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

You should be slaped!! The only hard part I see is getting the cams timed right. Even if I do buy another tranny for my car im not going to buy some $300 used junk yard find to have it go out on my a week later. If I buy a tranny it would be a trans able to hole atleast 450 hp and snap your neck on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts! If i can get away with just doing the head gaskets then ill just do that for now, but if not you better beleave that this motor will be worked over and making nothing less than 350 hp at the wheels! If you put coil springs on your mark i would expect you to pop the Mark VIII badges off of your car and replace them with thunderbird cobra badges. Correct me if im wrong but i feal that the bags are what makes it a lincoln and not a t-bird cobra! agen i say you should be slaped for even thinking about telling me to but coils on my mark!!
[/div]

The Art Car Extreme tranny can hold 600 hp. I've got one in my Mark. And it does snap the 1-2 shift. My 2-3 shift is at 95 mph, so it doesn't snap too much...I've still got 3.07 gears with my posi. But head gaskets usually don't go out on these motors. You probably would be better off swapping the motor out. If you've got the money, buy a crate motor.

You're right about the air bag suspension. I've made my car a cornering demon by lowering it two inches, installing 1.25" sway bars, and switching out all of the rubber with eurethane. Coil suspensions are not going to get you much more than that...IMO. Some guys have put Cobra R shocks in the back, which helped performance even further. Someone also discovered that the stock front shocks can be removed from the air bag and replaced with a Koni shock for Mustangs...though I have yet to hear about anyone who's done it.

Hold up!!

It's you that should be slapped, 7 sek mark!!

I don't see any need for that kind of response to someone who is just giving his own opinion to a question YOU asked.

Anyway, if you're so well informed and know so much just get on and do what you want and forget any advice. Don't for a minute think that the Mk 8 is God's gift to fine suspension. I love mine but hey, compared to lots of other cars it handles poor, rides poor and springs or air, it will never be any different.

Alright then. I figured someone who doesn't know that his tranny is going out and only realizes it once other people told him (per your original post), is going to be better off just swapping them since technical knowledge doesn't seem to be top notch. Since you're driving a $1500 mark (when working)... I figured you're on a budget and I was just trying to help you out. If you're willing to spend countless hours fixing it and dumping thousands of dollars into to make it right then so be it. A new tranny will run you $2k, or you could have gotten a used one like I suggested and J modded it for under $500.

Good look with an engine that has 160+k miles on and has faulty valve springs from the factory. 350rwhp from an engine that old??? Who are you kidding. Dumping that kind of money in a worthless car is illogical, but hey it is your money do what you want. I gave you the best alternative action for your old mark. So go off and smack yourself for talking a bunch of @%%#.

New update my dad found a motor, trans, and ecu/wireing with 78k miles out of a 93 mark. He got it for $900 and we should have it maby this weekend. We will swap that motor and trans in the car and put the blown motor on a stand. While on the stand we will build it as i get some money and have my stock trans built up and swap them back in at a later date. It doesnt really matter to me what the street value of my car is but i like my car because it is a sleeper. I love my car because there are not meny of them out there built up and its differnt. I like making things something that they are not, like the mark its not a race car so im going to make one out of it!. I want to show up them boys in there "bad boy mustangs" in my lincoln. Why? Because i live in the USA and i can do wat ever i want (well for the most part)! I love the look on peoples faces when they get passed by a lincoln the look is very addictive! Some of yal know what im talking about!

Oil in the water, or water in the oil COULD be a bad oil filter adapter.

When mine went out it leaked oil externally outside the engine AND put oil in the cooling system.

I hope all this engine rebuild/engine swap talk isn't because of a 16.00 gasket!!!

xo x( xo

Well, I think that about says it all. You' ve got a lot of trap (that's 'mouth to you) for a kid - no apology to maxmk8 for the "slaping" or should that be slapping? Just a lot of bull-s**t. I think you should learn a little respect, sonny. One day , when you grow-up, you may realise you can't do and say just what you please, even in the U.S!! Oh, b t w, I hope it was you're adaptor gasket!!

Thanks XLRV111 - good info.

Dave.

'94 Mark, (with springs),
'04 XJR, ( ---"--- )
'95 T/Bird 4.6,
'05 Cooper S.

at about 150k they are about dead anyway so i donno wat to do now
[/div]
{looks at the mileage in my sig file)

now before anyone screams, My car is a FREAK of nature.

My girlfriends 93 transmission is still going strong at 235,000 miles, no runs, drips or errors.
She races her car at every drag event that I attend.

The only thing the two cars have in common are.
"always use Mercron V, fluid changes every 30,0000 miles and NEVER manual shift".

Manual shifting is alot like masturbation, almost everyone does it, yet, very few will admit to it.

Back