WHOOOHOO this thing is fun lol

Midwestzx2

Registered
First of all.. a link to pics.. be warned its dirty as i havent gotten to cleaning it yet, just got it today.
http://www.putfile.com/midwestzx2/images/161947

Well for the first time today i got to drive the mark8 my g/f suprised me with it as an early x-mas gift. It needs a little tlc, but drivetrain wise seems superb. It makes my modded 5 speed zx2 seem like a snail lol.

One concern, the suspension clunks n thunks over bumps n feels just simply odd? In my current car the sound would be described as horribly worn strut mounts.

Thinkin of converting it over to regular spring/strut/shock suspension is there any lowering version of that? and is there any polly bushing kits for it?

Soon to come will be some flomasters, or magnaflows to give her a nice growl.
come summer, some body n paint work.

All in all.. i'm in love!

Last edited:
the noises you hear isnt the air suspension, there is no need to replace that with coils unless you prefer to, the noises you hear are the common mark VIII bad ball joints, front sway bar end links, or rear shock upper mount bushings, or all of the above. this is what i suggest right off the bat, since the car is new to you, go through the suspension and freshen it up, i work on mark VIII's and i do suspension rebuilds all the time, can almost do them blind now.
replace the upper control arm's, they come with new ball joints, autozone or advance auto carries the originals, TRW dont buy anything else, replace the lower control arms, also come with ball joints, and those too, TRW, buy a strut rod bushing kit for both sides, get 2 new sway bar end links, and if they need it, replace the tie rods. all these parts will run you about 250-300. if you can do the work yourself no labor costs involved. as for the rear of the car, buy yourself a pair of monroe sensa trac's for a 95 t-bird. take the factory rear shocks out, cut the old rubber bushings out of the mounts on the top of each factory shock, then use the bushings that come with the monroe's and use them with your stock shock mount to re-install, this will cost you about 45 bucks for the pair, then have it aligned and i will promise you, you will love driving your new mark, it will ride like the day it was built.

You sir... are friken awsome. Great info! good prices on everything too, now i'll have a chance to use those air tools i bought a few months back lol.

....and welcome to the LOD website! Take your time to look around here and you'll find LOTS of info to care for your Mark VIII. Look at the top of the page for links and hints. After you think you can afford it, consider joining our club. I think you will find you will save lots more than the $20.00 fee for joining!!

Also check the rear shock mounts... they can cause a bit of noise. (Jamie mentioned them in his post)

That Mark VIII has octastars, interesting... they are rare wheels.

Back