change transmission fluid

mlt2

Registered
Hello all, Well I have had my mark VIII for about 7 weeks now. So far I love it! It has 82,000 miles. It was really cold today ( low 20's ) and I started the car and backed out of the drive way. When I put the car in Drive and gave it the gas. The car did not move very much. The RPMS went up but the car was slow. I know the transmission was slipping. I let ogg the gas and easyed back on it. The car seemed to do ok. All tho it did not feel right. After the car get just a tad warm ( the hand on the temp gauge moved) the car was back to it's old self. There was no slipping. So my question to all the car gods here. What could be wrong? Someone said to change the fluid. Still after it gets the least bit warm the car runs sweet. So I am not really sure. I guess it can;t hurt? Also anyone know how bad it is to change the fluid in that car? I could not find the dip stick. I knew the newer cars were sealed. BUT I did not know this was on a 1998.
Thanks Mike T.

RE: change transmission fluid

Hi Mike, welcome to the LOD web site.

With 82, 000 on your Mark, you should probably assume that the trans. fluid has never been changed. First thing you should do is install a good transmission cooler on it and have the tranny flushed and have new Mercon V (notice Mercon V) put in. This can be done either by you or by a facility you trust. I had my '97 done by my trusted L/M dealer at about 90k miles...never a slip with that tranny yet (crossed fingers)! Have around 110k now.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://myfilelocker.comcast.net/charlespytko/Lincoln/BudPytko97LSC.JPG

Would this cause the transmission to slip only when it's cold? I thought a transmission slipped when it heats up? It's strange. I just drove the car again. It has cooled about 3 hours and the transmission was fine so it's just when it cools over night.
Mike T.

Never thought of that. I looked but did not see a dip stick. Did the 1998 have a sealed trans?

No it did not. Look to the left side of your engine all the way in the back.

Yup found it. Wow talk about hiding it LOL. Well the fluid looked and smelled ok. it was not low. Still going to have it changed ( and prey) lol. thanks for all the help you guys and gals rock!!
Mike T.

If it smelled OK, it probably isn't mercon V. That stuff is stinky. :+

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
If it smelled OK, it probably isn't mercon V. That stuff is stinky. :+
[/div]
Stinky, thingy, dingy! High tech words!
:7

Back