Replacing rear bumper - Is it possible to DIY?

drabina

Registered
Hi,

If I were to get a painted replacement bumper for my 01 Conti, would I be able to replace it on my own? Does anybody know exactly how much work is involved? Do I need to lift the car or it can be done while the car is parked on a parking space in the front of the house?

I am asking because my bumper has a lot of paint chips from NYC parking and I have spotted on Ebay painted replacement for about $100 plus $60 shipping. I guess that's less than getting bumper from a dealer and then get it painted.

Thanks.

From the dealer you are looking at at least $700 for the bumper cover and $350 to paint it. I dont know of any special tools you would need, just the basic stuff. I think the rear cover is a little tougher than the front cover which only takes a novice a couple of hours. I'd guess I'd plan at least 4 hours and want a warm place to work. Just take your time.

Hmm? If it is 4 hours, I better get a repair manual that shows on how to do it. Any recommendations for a good service manual?

Thanks

Yeah get the Chilton Manual...I have the 97 Conti Manual and its amazing!! tells you everything you need to know.

Where can I get repair manual for 01 Conti? I have checked Ebay, Amazon, Chilton and Haynes and they do not have one that will cover 01 models. There is one that covers up to 2000 model. What is so different with 01 and 02 models?

Please note, I did not say it would take you 4 hours, I suggested you allow that much time. Of course, you may work much faster than I am able to any more.

I would get a 2000 model manual - can't be significantly different. I have a '90 manual for my '91 Mark VII.

I used to have a FLM dvd that covered several years - you can find them on eBay from time to time.

i didnt know there were any major differences in 1998 to 2001 continentals . they all look the same outside and inside and underhood i thought it was just internal engine/ small options that were different

Back