95 Mark won't start

frankjc

Registered
My $#@ car wouldn't start this morning. It cranks over fine, just won't start. No SES light, ran perfect last night. I kinda suspect the IAC, because a few times when it was cold, t had a low idle when first started. Also, it was below zero last night, and about 4 degrees when I tried to start it.
Any suggestions?

*cough*fuel pump warning*cough*

Try the crank sensor trick for the "no start" situation

but a low idle on start up sometimes indicates very poor fuel delivery
might have a weak pump just starting to show it's grey hair.

Since it's an electric motor I'm sure the "cold" didn't help the situation.

I wouldn't think a no start condition would be IAC related

what causes all 3 things
cranks but doesnt start, low idle when does start

Might get lucky and it'd be the CPS, my magic 8 ball says "all signs point to" fuel pump.

It runs, now I see coolant.........

It runs, now I see coolant.........

Ok, I got it running. Before I tried it, I crawled under the car and pushed and pulled on the CPS connector. I got in the car and turned the key. It did not start right away, but when it did, it idled a little slow for a few minutes, then ran as normal. I am not sure what made it start, if it was from wiggling the connector, or if it was because it was a little warmer out today (30's). We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.
While I was under there, I noticed some coolant on the sway bay, directly in front of the crank pulley. Not sure where it is coming from, but pretty sure it's not the water pump. Anything common that leaks in that area?
I guess tomorrow after work, I will put it on the lift and check that out. Maybe I'll pull the CPS connector off and clean it out, just because.
Thanks.

While I was under there, I noticed some coolant on the sway bay, directly in front of the crank pulley. Not sure where it is coming from, but pretty sure it's not the water pump. Anything common that leaks in that area?
I guess tomorrow after work, I will put it on the lift and check that out.

That's likely a seep leak from the radiator. Very hard to pinpoint. My experience is they are not worth fixing. Monitor it closely and replace when it appears to get worse. It may last a very long time. DO NOT put in any stop leak additive.

I don't know about the radiator. It is wet on the sway bar, just below the crank pulley. Using a mirror, it looks to be wet just under then water pump.
I will probably put it on the lift after work for a closer look.

That's likely a seep leak from the radiator. Very hard to pinpoint. My experience is they are not worth fixing. Monitor it closely and replace when it appears to get worse. It may last a very long time. DO NOT put in any stop leak additive.

You were right! The radiator is seeping at both lower corners. Although there is gunk under the water pump, it is not anti freeze. I also discovered that my oil pan is rotted more than I thought.:( Gotta look into replacing that now. I have a pan with fresh paint and no rust, but not sure if I can do it myself, or if I want to tackle it myself. As much as I love this car, sometimes....:mad: :confused: :frown: :mad-tilt: :banghead:

The radiator is quite easy to replace I just had to replace mine. It’s cheaper to get a new one than to have it fixed. Look around in your city for radiator shops I found a shop near my house in Dallas and it was about $70 cheaper than I could fined online. Whenever you change the oil pan go ahead and change the OIL PUMP.

Last edited:
So far the lowest I have found is $150. Oil pan is already done, that was last Saturday's project. Lots of fun it was.

Back