fuel pump

vernonz_426

Registered
last week my fuel pump went out and today i just got the pump. im not sure if i need to take the exhaust off to get the pump out of the thank. anyone that can point me in the right direction would be great
thanks
zack

RE: fuel pump

Short version... yes, you need to lower the tank which involves removing the exhaust sufficiently to allow the tank to drop down enough to access the fuel pump from the topside of the fuel tank.

ok so there are 2 things on top of my fuel tank i think the one closest to the passenger side is the pump... next question though is how do you get it out of the tank i cant get it low enough to see the top very well to figure it out.. hafta go to work in a few min. tho so maybe i will be able to get it done tomorrow or tonight when i get off.
thanks
zack

The large round metal cover is the top of the fuel pump assembly.
The smaller plastic thing is vent tubes.

Follow the fuel lines to the tank.. THAT is the fuel pump assembly.

your best bet is to completely remove the tank from the car, not just lower it.
There will be alot of dirt/dust/crud on the sealing area of the tank that you DO NOT WANT TO FALL INSIDE

pull the tank ALL THE WAY out of the car.
Dont try to shortcut this area, unless you feel like doing it all over again.

The tank isn't that difficult to remove...
Once the exhaust is dropped, put a jack under the tank and completely remove the bolts (4 of them} that secure the tank straps to the car.

Then I would suggest washing the top of the tank to remove all the crud/dust/grime before taking the top cover off the fuel pump assembly.

I seem to remember that Geno said he cuts a hole in the floor of the car to change out a fuel pump because it is easier. I don't know how he patches the hole.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I seem to remember that Geno said he cuts a hole in the floor of the car to change out a fuel pump because it is easier. I don't know how he patches the hole.
[/div]

Easier is removing all the seats and carpet and seat belts?

Have you seen where the fuel pump access panel is.. in reference to the interior of the car?

The hole would be someplace that I definatly wouldn't be CUTTING thru my floor board.

The mark 8 tank is in a goofy spot...it's not like cutting a hole in the trunk floor.

I wouldn't suggest cutting the mark 8 floor to anyone regardless who said "they've done it before".

Geno is good people, but I seriously doubt that is "good information" to be posting on the public forums.

I can see the posts now:

"I've cut 15 holes in my floor and I still cant find the access hole in the top of the tank!!!!!!"

The access panel is in the forward area of the tank, go outside and look under your car.. see where the forward 1/3 of the tank is.

Then look inside and tell me if you want to pull ALL your interior OUT of the car, then the seat belts and all the carpet.

Nah.. it only took me 2-4 hours to change my fuel pump THE RIGHT WAY.
and I dont have to worry about "how to patch the hole" when I'm done.

FEEL FREE though..
let us know how it comes out..

and make sure you take ALOT of pictures, so that others wont have to cut 15 holes in the floor before they find the fuel pump assembly.

Swapping the pump without removing the tank is easy. You just have to jack up the car high enough to let the tank drop down far enough. I've done it twice - it takes 1-2 hours.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]I seem to remember that Geno said he cuts a hole in the floor of the car to change out a fuel pump because it is easier. I don't know how he patches the hole.[/div]Easier is removing all the seats and carpet and seat belts?Have you seen where the fuel pump access panel is.. in reference to the interior of the car?The hole would be someplace that I definatly wouldn't be CUTTING thru my floor board.The mark 8 tank is in a goofy spot...it's not like cutting a hole in the trunk floor.I wouldn't suggest cutting the mark 8 floor to anyone regardless who said "they've done it before".Geno is good people, but I seriously doubt that is "good information" to be posting on the public forums.I can see the posts now:"I've cut 15 holes in my floor and I still cant find the access hole in the top of the tank!!!!!!"The access panel is in the forward area of the tank, go outside and look under your car.. see where the forward 1/3 of the tank is.Then look inside and tell me if you want to pull ALL your interior OUT of the car, then the seat belts and all the carpet.Nah.. it only took me 2-4 hours to change my fuel pump THE RIGHT WAY.and I dont have to worry about "how to patch the hole" when I'm done.FEEL FREE though.. let us know how it comes out.. and make sure you take ALOT of pictures, so that others wont have to cut 15 holes in the floor before they find the fuel pump assembly.
[/div]

Calm down. I would never cut a hole in my car to change the fuel pump. I think I remember Geno saying that is the way he does it. I am not recommending it, but if Geno does it that way, maybe it has some merit.

I'm calm, no need to "calm me down".

I just wanted to clarify that what you said "geno suggested" wasn't the popular concensus on this board nor was it the best way to get the job done.

Just because Geno does it that way doesn't mean there is any merit.

I wouldn't go cutting big holes near the trans tunnel on a unibody car, period.

However, when i did the fuel pump in my blazer, the third time i just cut a hole in the floorboard. But that's body on frame. And after that i had to put a piece of plywood on the floor if i had to carry something heavy.

The fuel pump is located under the passenger side rear seat. You would only need to remove the seat. It would be a simple mod to cut a hole and build a patch to silicone and screw down when done.
If I were to build a Mark VIII as a racecar I would do it and not think twice because I find it a pain to empty the tank, drop the exhaust and lower the tank.
Keith

93 BLACK
93 MAROON
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.

on a unibody car, anywhere the metal bends is structural. Notice that there's really no flat spots in the sheet metal, anywhere?

Now, do you think that silicone and self-tapping screw repair is going to be structural?

Ever driven one of these cars minus a rear windshield? It's almost like driving a convertible, there's so much cowl shake. And that's glass you're missing... and it's obviously structural.

I wouldn't go cutting any holes in a unibody car, anywhere...

I build all kinds of race cars and I and cutting a 6" hole doesn't scare me. I know I have driven cars with bigger rust holes
Keith
93 BLACK
93 MAROON

on a unibody car, anywhere the metal bends is structural. Notice that there's really no flat spots in the sheet metal, anywhere?Now, do you think that silicone and self-tapping screw repair is going to be structural?Ever driven one of these cars minus a rear windshield? It's almost like driving a convertible, there's so much cowl shake. And that's glass you're missing... and it's obviously structural.I wouldn't go cutting any holes in a unibody car, anywhere...
[/div]

Unless you weld the piece back into place.

I build all kinds of race cars and I and cutting a 6" hole doesn't scare me. I know I have driven cars with bigger rust holes Keith 93 BLACK 93 MAROONOnly use the brakes to stop and get gas.
[/div]

well... go outside and pick a color, maroon or black.

cut the 6 inch hole in it, and take a picture so that the minions that follow will have a good idea as to where to start drilling holes!
{joking smile)

Unless you weld the piece back into place.
[/div]

Have you seen the clearance between the top of the gas tank and this portion of metal you plan on welding?

Personally I wouldn't weld in that area with the tank in place.
I would remove the tank before welding within a couple of inches of a plastic gas tank.

But removing the tank would kind of eliminate this whole shadetree shortcut scenario..though.

there's a whopping 8ish bolts and the exhaust falls out on the ground.
4 more and the tank is on the ground.

I dont really see the need to go hacking holes in a mark 8 floorboard when "doing the job right" isn't that difficult.

Hell.. I've changed two fuel pumps.. AT the dragstrip.
It's not rocket science, it aint even MODEL ROCKET SCIENCE.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]on a unibody car, anywhere the metal bends is structural. Notice that there's really no flat spots in the sheet metal, anywhere?Now, do you think that silicone and self-tapping screw repair is going to be structural?Ever driven one of these cars minus a rear windshield? It's almost like driving a convertible, there's so much cowl shake. And that's glass you're missing... and it's obviously structural.I wouldn't go cutting any holes in a unibody car, anywhere...[/div]Unless you weld the piece back into place.
[/div]

then you have heat affected zones, differences in hardness and thickness, stress concentration points, etc. granted most of these will not be a problem, but i'd still avoid cutting in major structural areas of the car, such as near the tunnel.

This is not coming from a shadetree mechanic, it's coming from an engineer...

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Unless you weld the piece back into place.[/div]I would remove the tank before welding within a couple of inches of a plastic gas tank.But removing the tank would kind of eliminate this whole shadetree shortcut scenario..though.there's a whopping 8ish bolts and the exhaust falls out on the ground.4 more and the tank is on the ground.I dont really see the need to go hacking holes in a mark 8 floorboard when "doing the job right" isn't that difficult.
[/div]

I would agree, I was just throwing that out there. Swapping the pump can be done by merely lowering the tank...I've done it on two different Marks.

Regarding the exhaust, I recall having to deal with three pain-in-the-butt rubber suspension connectors though. It's not something I'd call easy.

then you have heat affected zones, differences in hardness and thickness, stress concentration points, etc. granted most of these will not be a problem, but i'd still avoid cutting in major structural areas of the car, such as near the tunnel.This is not coming from a shadetree mechanic, it's coming from an engineer...
[/div]

I'm an engineer and a journeyman mechanic...and I would have to agree with you about cutting the hole. I threw it out there for discussion, but I wouldn't do it.

I did take pictures of the big flat spot on the floor under the seat on Sunday. I did it when I was taking pictures of the other holes I was cutting. When I get them uploaded I will post.
Keith
93 BLACK
93 MAROON

Back