97 stang gt tranny?

Yeah thats what I've read, but I've got a friend that was gonna trick mine out for cheap so I thought I'd just have him do the stang tranny for less down time(it's my daily driver) and to spend a little less cash. The stang tranny is 175 and my buddy will do acctuators and a trans go shift kit for 90 ( plus some other tricks he knows) he wants 500 to rebuild and r&r mine. So is it the same tranny,with all the same connections and stuff? Can I just swap em'
THANKS!!

I'd think you'd want your TCC solenoid and you would need to repin the harness. There may be more.

You would be better off with a Jmod vice the Trans Go kit. Have your buddy go to www.tccoa.com and in the transmission tech there's several articles. One of them is the Jmod called Shifty Business I think. It's cheaper, safer and better for your trans than the Trans Go kit. I would stay at the 300 hp level also. People tend to want to exaggerate what their vehicles are really putting out. Going to the higher levels will give you harsh shifts, unless that's what you want to do. Take your TCC sol valve out of your trans and install it into the Mustang trans. Your TCs are the same by the way 11.25" and the same stall. I always recommend replacing the TC when you have the trans down and are putting in a new one. This avoids any contamination from the old unit being transferred to the new one. You won’t have to change your harness. Both use the same pin outs in the connector. You will want to stay with your Mark MLPS though.

Wow guys THANKS for all the info this site is GREAT! BUT now I"ve found a freshly rebuilt 4r70w out of a 94 4.6 t-bird at a tranny shop here in st. louis for 200.00 WITH a NEW tc !! the dude at the shop will even gaurantee it.
BUT he says that the thing will not work because lincoln trannys are longer.
He admits that he's unsure though. He also said that 98 and newer ones WON'T work because the circuit bourds are totally different. SOOOOO I guess this cat just I'snt well versed in Lincolns. So should I go get this puppy? I'm tired of not havin' 3rd and 4th !!!!

That all depends on you and your budget. You know the saying, you get what you pay for. I would get it in writing from them. The Tbird came with a 12 inch TC and the Mark runs a 11.25. This because the Mark can rev so much higher than any SOHC. The Tbird TC is rated to 5400 rpms. You will destroy it in the Mark. The 11.25 was designed for the Mark VIII and is good to 6500 rpms. These two TCs require different flex plates also. I can't tell you how many Marks I've seen that had a local shop rebuild their Trans, install a Trans Go shift kit and then put in a 12 inch TC because it's cheaper. Then they come to me wanting to know why the Trans failed right after the 12 month warranty expired. Or they complain that the car just doesn't run like it did before the Trans/TC swap. Then to fix the whole situation they need a new Trans, TC and flex plate.

By the way the Mark and the Tbird use the same output shaft length so they are interchangeable. This shop sounds like they don't have a clue. I tend to tell people to stay far away from those types. Most shops are parts exchangers. In other words they only deal with stock parts and vehicles. They take a trans out and put in a rebuilt one. It's a one for one and if there's any difference between them they stop. If it isn't stock they don’t' know what to do. It better have the same plugs and connectors, if it doesn't they tell you it's the wrong part and on and on. I tell my customers to stay far away from these shops. They can't think past the norm and if it's modified then that scares them and the cost goes up.

This happens a lot with my transmissions. I ship them out and the customer has a shop like the one you just described install it. They see the forced lube mod and freak out. Then the see the year of the Trans, lets say a 04 and the vehicle is a 96 Mark and they tell the customer it won't work. They start telling them the same story that the circuits are different and so on. They scare the crap out of my customer who then calls all freaked out. They also see a high stall TC and tell the customer it won't work in the car because the EEC won't run it correctly. The customer informs them that they have a custom program for it already but the shop just keeps on. Finally I'm on the phone with the shop and have to explain to them and walk them through each step of the way. Oh and the Mark Tran has to have part of the bell housing mount removed to fit properly. The shop doesn't believe this so they try and install the Trans without removing the small section but it hits up against the cat and won't fit. Then they are calling me telling me that it's the wrong Transmission I need to send them the correct one. I have to explain to them that it is the correct one and the argument continues because they see that it's an 04 and not a 96 Trans. I then have to point out that the factory also cuts that part of the Trans and to look at the one they took out. In the end they rape the customer for the install because they are totally out of their realm and haven't got a clue.

They fail to properly clean the Trans cooler and lines so all the contamination from the failed Trans/TC end up back in the new Trans/TC and we then have problems. The customer is pissed off because now they just spent all that money on a new Trans and TC to now have it fail because of contamination. The shop claims it isn't from contamination and that it isn't their fault that it's because it's a modified hp trans. When I get the Trans back, open it up I see contamination.

That's just a quick review of some of what I've had to deal with using shops like you just described.

Last edited:
O.K. geez! Yeah, part exchangers, thats exactly what I was thinkin'. I'm plannin' on doing the swap myself at my friend's shop so I would'nt have to deal with that shop after the purchase. yeah the tc isthe 12 inch too. My budjet is small so thats why I'm considering this instead of rebuilding my Mark tranny.Plus there would be less down time.So if I buy the bird tranny what would I have to do other than just the R&R and finding a new or redone 11.25
tc? Is just flushin' mine out really so bad?? I
m just thinkin' that a totally fresh tranny for 160.00 (w/o TC) is too good of a deal to pass up.This guy owns the shop so while I could get had I believe he's ok. but yeah, That's the gamble of havin' a small budjet!!! I figure I'ts a better gamble than one out of a wrecked car.
THANKS!!!
Dave

O.K. geez! Yeah, part exchangers, thats exactly what I was thinkin'. I'm plannin' on doing the swap myself at my friend's shop so I would'nt have to deal with that shop after the purchase. yeah the tc isthe 12 inch too. My budjet is small so thats why I'm considering this instead of rebuilding my Mark tranny.Plus there would be less down time.So if I buy the bird tranny what would I have to do other than just the R&R and finding a new or redone 11.25
m just thinkin' that a totally fresh tranny for 160.00 (w/o TC) is too good of a deal to pass up.This guy owns the shop so while I could get had I believe he's ok. but yeah, That's the gamble of havin' a small budjet!!! I figure I'ts a better gamble than one out of a wrecked car.
THANKS!!!
Dave

Ask what kind of warranty he will give you.

Just a guarantee that it works and if I bought it to use all the parts from it to rebuild MINE...that all the clutches and stuff are new. So it seems like a great alternative to one from a wreck or salvage yard. Again..I can have my freind rebuild it for 500.00 but this seems like a better alternative, cheaper and less down time.

Lonnie is right, I tried to get a local tranny shop to put a solenoid pack in my 98 trans that I have in my 95 Mark 8
They said
1st the 98 tranny couldn't be in my car because they are different
2nd they couldn't find out what was wrong with my tranny because their scanner wouldn't hook up to my car (they thought ALL 95's were obd2 because other ford cars were obd2 in 95) SO they couldn't scan my car.
3rd they didn't need to scan my car because I just wanted them to drop the pan, chunk a solenoid pack in.

This is a good tranny shop, that has a very good reputation here in Houston, BUT as Lonnie said, they are simply "parts replacers, who refuse to THINK outside the box".

Needless to say I drove my car away and did the solenoid pack myself.

That tranny shop went so far as to accuse me of converting my OBD2 car TO obd1, to make the tranny work. When I told them the 98 trans came out of an obd2 car, they got mad and walked back inside the shop.

There's a local tranny shop here like that. Excellent reputation and they actually do good quality work. But I couldn't get them to simply install a high stall torque converter in my Mark VIII 'cause "it wasn't stock". :(

THANKS!!!
Dave

That's up to you. You are going to do what your budget allows. I'm not a fan of flushes. They work sometimes and then other times they loosen up particles that eventually make it in somewhere that causes a failure.

Back