Forged Crank Heavier than Cast??

M8SHOSCGUY

Registered
Somebody told me that a Forged crank will weight significantly more than a Cast crank. Any truth to this, and if so, how much more?

mark

RE: Forged Crank Heavier than Cast??

Yes much more. I don't have exact wieghts of each, but forged is pretty heavy. the V-10 crank was forged and i think it was close to 70 lbs if i remember correctly.

I guess another reason to stick with the stock crank unless you're going to blow or juice it big time.

mark

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Stock crank is better than you think.
[/div]

Is it true that it can safely turn 500 hp (flywheel)?

so how much hp can the stock crank take? how much would a aftermarket cast steel crank take like for a stroker?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Stock crank is better than you think.[/div]Is it true that it can safely turn 500 hp (flywheel)?
[/div]

500 RWHP easy

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong][div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Stock crank is better than you think.[/div]Is it true that it can safely turn 500 hp (flywheel)?[/div]500 RWHP easy
[/div]

Wow...cool.

Thinkin' for a N/A 10.5:1 compression ratio, that needs to rev to 7500+ with a medium 100HP shot, headers, ported heads, blower cams etc, I'll use the stock cast crank turned .010, ultra lightweight forged 4340 I Beams, and Mahle forged flat tops with gapless rings, and balanced for high RPM. Doubtful the crank will let go with this suff with an auto and 3200 stall. Any discussion?

mark

my motor has 10.7:1 comp probe pistons, manley h beams stock crank and im going to be runing a 200 shot. the cast crank has held up to in some cases 1000 hp. its the rods that are weak. my engine builder has non seen a broken stock crank , not to say there isnt but they are very strong. oh and the reason the cast is lighter is because its cast. forged you are compressing more metal into the same space so of coarse it will be heavyer.

Your pistons and rods will let go long before the cast crank... some NA Cobra guys have been putting in the cast crank in their rebuilds for less weight...

Back