Mods, Mods, and More SSHS6 Mods...

mlschultz

Registered
Just got the Mark back from Steve. He pulled out and checked the transmission. I had one broken spring, and a bad 1-2 accumulator piston that he found while doing the shift mods. He also said that my tail shaft was not real tight against the trans, resulting in the gasket between the trans and the tail shaft to become brittle and break apart.

Anyway, that is all the bad news for a trans that has over a 100k hard miles on it. I swear I had no clue the spring had broke, because it did not shift bad at all. He installed the PI single 3000 stall torque converter, the deep well Ford Racing aluminum trans fluid pan, and his custom shift mods. He also showed me the old oil pan. I can see why he does not like to power flush the trans fluid. The magnet in the pan had tons of metal all over it. That is why he would rather drop the pan for a fluid change.

Next on the list are the 410's and Trak-Lok diff. They get installed this Saturday :) . Then... Off to Summit for the M/T DR's and maybe some drag rims if they make them for the Mark, and the need to also have the xcal2 set-up for all these mods. SSHS6 is just a couple weeks away :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/papapeach/markmods004.jpg

RE: Mods, Mods, and More SSHS6 Mods...

Good luck on finding drag rims for the Mark.

You might try a pair of 15 inch T-Bird wheels and see if they'll clear the brakes. Then a nice set of 26" tall drag tires. ;)

Thanks, David and JP. I still have the Conti rims in the garage as a last resort. Summit has two tires that will fit stock rims that I like. I am leaning towards the M/T ET Streets. What do you think? Here are the specs:

BFG-82116

$146.88

Brand: BFGoodrich
Product Line: BFGoodrich g-Force T/A Drag Radial Tires
Rim Diameter (in): 16 in.
Tire Size: 255/50-16
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tire Construction: Radial
Directional: No
Minimum Recommended Rim Width (in): 7.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width (in): 9.00 in.
Tire Size 1: 255
Tire Size 2: 50
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: Yes
Tube Required: No
UTQG Tread Wear Rating: 00
Traction Rating: B
Temperature Rating: C
DOT-Approved: Yes

Tire, G-Force T/A Drag, P 255/50-16, Radial, DOT- Approved, Blackwall, Each

* Check to make sure this part fits your application

Hero-making traction and control.
These new g-Force T/A Drag Radial tires are an improvement on the world's first DOT street legal drag race tire. They feature a new tread compound that delivers more peak performance during launch and maximum straight-line acceleration--with full streetability. The competition-developed tread design resists distortion, squirm, and chunking (pieces of tire flying off), as well as the stresses of centrifugal force, to maintain a consistent footprint. Two full-width steel belts reduce the risk of punctures, while the tubeless design allows for easier mounting, without the need for rim screws.

MTT-3793R

$166.95

Brand: Mickey Thompson
Product Line: Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tires
Rim Diameter (in): 16 in.
Tire Size: 255/50-16
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tire Construction: Radial
Directional: Yes
Tire Diameter (in): 26.00 in.
Minimum Recommended Rim Width (in): 7.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width (in): 9.00 in.
Tread Width (in): 9.70 in.
Section Width (in): 10.50 in.
Recommended Rim Width: 7-9 in.
Tire Size 1: 215
Tire Size 2: 50
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: No
Tube Required: No
Belt Construction: Steel-belted
Tire Compound: R2
Roll Out (in): 82.00 in.
DOT-Approved: Yes
Quantity: Sold individually.

Tire, ET Street, P 255 /50R16, Radial, Steel-Belted, DOT- Approved, R2 Compound, Blackwall, Each

* Check to make sure this part fits your application

Extreme traction on the strip, drives you home on the street.
Mickey Thompson's legendary race tire technology comes to the street with these all-new ET Street Radial tires. Built using the latest in high-tech radial construction techniques and years of drag racing experience in compound development, these DOT approved, street legal drag radials will get your car down the track in record time and still provide you with an excellent ride on the way home. Other important features include reduced rolling resistance, a low-void directional tread pattern for maximum dry-weather traction, and polyester ply/steel belted construction for long lasting strength and durability.

I'm confident either would be a good choice. If it were me, I prefer the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials.

Better yet... You can buy my actual dyno tune from Lidio, loaded to the xcal2. IMHO, He is one of the best tuners in the country. He has the best transmission shift schedule, period. Again, IMHO, better than JW himself.

Here is a link to his web site. Give him a call. One of the nicest people you will ever talk to. My catch code is: BTC0 for a 98 Mark LSC, with 2.5" exhaust w/ x pipe, K&N panel filter, 12c plugs. Tell him he tuned my car last August, with Jeremi and the Mark VIII guys.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/

Here is my dyno tune sheet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/papapeach/dynotuneMedium.jpg

Nice trunk of goodies Mike! I'd get a set of the 20 spokes stockers like JP said. Thats what im running with my slicks and they are very lightweight. I will highly suggest not driving home on them in ANY chance of rain unless youre an experienced upstate NY northern area snow and black ice driver with a rear wheel car.
Even the slightest amount of rain on road and youre in for some fun surfing at above 45 mph with the big gears. I made that mistake comming home from the track with mine on once. Now i carry them in the trunk with the jack. When your higher RPM shifts into second even at light throttle application, youre in the other lane of oncomming traffic fast. Very unerving trying to ride home from the track in a light mist or rain. :eek: :eek: Won't be doing that again. lol

Thanks, Jeff. I have the set of rims that came with the car still, so as a last resort, I would use them since I get the message now from you and JP that DR's on the street are very tricky :eek: . I do not need any drama driving around 80 miles from the track to get home :)

BTW Jeff, How is your Mark coming along? Are you going to SSHS6? Inquiring minds need to know... :)

I hear that Dennis Reinhart is planning on going to SSHS6. Not sure if he is bringing a Mark VIII or a Marauder though. Maybe both?

Had a little snag with the 4.10 and T-Lok install today. The threads on the axles are totally rusted away, and once the axles come off, they will stay off for good. There is not a single set of 28 spline axles found anywhere in metro Atlanta today. Trust me, I looked. In fact, these axles are like HID bulbs now, so forget about even talking to the F/L/M dealer parts department.

I guess my choices now are:

A) Order custom built Raxle's either 28 or 31 spline and exchange the diff. to 31 spline. I think these have a lifetime warranty. 1st choice. http://www.raxles.com/default.aspx

B) Find '99 Cobra, or SC T-Bird 28 spline axles

C) Exchange the diff, and go to '00 - '03 31 spline Cobra axles

D) Order reman's from the local auto parts store

Comments on the above choices is appreciated. :)

No way I would go with remanufactured axles on anything other than a stock vehicle unless I was pushed for time or money. I always look at situations like this as an opportunity to upgrade. ;)

I know from running with a bunch of MN12 guys the OEM 28 spline axles are scarce. If you want to remain 28 spline, Raxles would be my choice. FWIW, I've been told their earlier axles were actually an upgrade but the ones you get now are same as OEM.

The weak point is the splined end at the wheel hub. That is where all the guys with power adders are twisting them off at. Even a SC T-bird 28 spline axle will not help over the stock axle in that regard. That rules that out as an 'upgrade'.

That leaves the logical choice of a 31 spline Cobra swap. That would need to include the differential, the axles and the wheel hubs. Of course, the hub swap means a wheel swap. :eek: I'm not sure of all the details involved, but I think Jeremi would. ;)

Regardless, you've got plenty of time. :)

31 spline cobra axles won't fit that easy in fn10, unfortunately. They are shorter (not overall, but hub to diff)

Why didn't you pull the whole axle/hub/spindle as an assembly ? I know it's too late, but you should've shaved 1/4 of the lip on that bottom front knuckle bolt and take it out without removing the axle from the hub. Saves time, money and aggrivation.

edit ... I reread your post Mike ... did you pull the axles yet ? Call me if you like.

Thanks, Jeremi. I appreciate that, and will give you a call if I get into some trouble. No, the axles are still in. Scott L. was going to pull the whole assembly like you said, but when he got to those knuckle bolts facing the wrong way, he called the install off and said to get some axles.

I totally forgot about the trimming trick, but, I am not sure that Scott would have done that anyway. I will suggest it to him, but regardless, those axles have some serious rust on them, and I think they are on borrowed time once I begin launching with the 410's and DR's.

I think I will go with the 28 spline Raxle's and call it a day. I will mess around with the 31 spline and cobra hubs after the blower is installed. My big problem is getting rack time with Scott L. It seems that every Marauder owner in Atlanta goes to him for work done on their car. LOL, even for a oil change :)

On another note, do I need a 23 tooth speedo gear when going to 410's? Everything I have searched says yes - for the tc schedule, etc. The actual speedometer runs off VSS ABS module?

I got the low-down on Dennis Reinhart's entry to SSHS6. It is a Mark VIII powered Marauder :eek: . Yep, His Mark VIII is junk from a wreck he had with it, and he took all the go-fast motor and blower stuff off it and put it on his Marauder.

No....You need a speedcal. The 23 tooth gear is not meant for these transmissions and will fail dumping plastic pieces into the back of the case destroying your transmission. Buy the speedcal it's much cheaper.
Alan

I called Marty at Raxles today, and ordered two SC T-Bird axles @ $225 a side against his own advice not to buy them. He said I am going to break them, so be warned. He said the shaft is thick - 1.5", but if I get any wheel hop, chances are real good they will break at the knuckle because they are not the HD ones. It is also a reputation thing with him, and I can respect that.

I asked how many automatic Mark VIII's have broken his axles, and he said... one. And that one was due to wheel hop. Alot of manual shift trans T-Birds have snapped theirs though with hard launching. I told him I will take my chances.

Torrie was able to find a brand new OEM Ford set at a dealer if anyone needs a set. I could not find, or have made, a HD set of axles anywhere for a Mark VIII. Nobody can get the HD CV knuckles.

Should be here before this Saturday. Thanks, everyone, for your help with this :)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I asked how many automatic Mark VIII's have broken his axles, and he said... one. And that one was due to wheel hop.
[/div]

I don't seem to have any wheel hop issues, but I cringe every time I see a car attempt a burnout or launch at the track with severe wheel hop. It can be very destructive to the entire driveline.

Thanks, Jeff. I have the set of rims that came with the car still, so as a last resort, I would use them since I get the message now from you and JP that DR's on the street are very tricky :eek: . I do not need any drama driving around 80 miles from the track to get home :)BTW Jeff, How is your Mark coming along? Are you going to SSHS6? Inquiring minds need to know... :)I hear that Dennis Reinhart is planning on going to SSHS6. Not sure if he is bringing a Mark VIII or a Marauder though. Maybe both?
[/div]

I ahh well..i have the front nose off of the car now and moving some things around to get more air past the radiator so she runs cooler. Can't even buy carbon fiber anymore the grade i wanted so my secret plan of loosing the steel bumper weight for carbon fiber one is foiled for now. That F350 desil tranny cooler is blocking alot of engine cooling air sitting behind my radiator. Going to move it down into the bumper area where i had my old B&M tranny cooler. Fixing my O2 sensor wiring and shortening and soldering them up proper with heatshrink. Going to be doing some creative cutting with the saw soon to get my air filter out of the engine bay among other things. Still gotta put my new plugs in i got from Lonnie last tune also.
My leave still havesn't been approved yet, but i'm crossing my fingers that it goes through and i'll be able to make it to Atlanta again. Had fun last time even though i was a DNF due to tranny issues. My buddie has a surburban with a flatbed trailer incase i break anything so im not worried about the trip back home now. Hope i can be there.
We should talk Lonnie into brining his Mark VIII beast up there too. Or his blue Thunderbird. The T bird is absolutely beautifull.

Well, I hope your leave get's approved Jeff. And for your work in progress, just put a stake in the ground and finish-up what you started, and get your butt down to Atlanta and do some racing :) Besides, JP want's to snag your hood when your not looking :eek: :7

I ahh well..i have the front nose off of the car now and moving some things around to get more air past the radiator so she runs cooler. Can't even buy carbon fiber anymore the grade i wanted so my secret plan of loosing the steel bumper weight for carbon fiber one is foiled for now. That F350 desil tranny cooler is blocking alot of engine cooling air sitting behind my radiator. Going to move it down into the bumper area where i had my old B&M tranny cooler. Fixing my O2 sensor wiring and shortening and soldering them up proper with heatshrink. Going to be doing some creative cutting with the saw soon to get my air filter out of the engine bay among other things. Still gotta put my new plugs in i got from Lonnie last tune also.
[/div]

Carbon fiber? Man, you guys take this SSHS thing seriously! :eek:

Jeff, I'm sure if you put that tranny cooler down in the bumper, you'll be fine. I put my mondo tranny cooler there and it's been perfect in all weather and driving conditions so far.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1743.jpg

I mounted it in a temporary fashion and have to eventually go back and make it permanent. But I want to wait for cold weather and see if I need to add the thermal bypass valve since I want to run all steel lines and do away with any rubber hose.

Mike, you're lucky to have someone of that caliber available in your area to work on your Mark VIII. ;)

I would be a lot poorer and the Blue Flame would be a lot hotter if I was that lucky. }( :D

Back