grinding/rubbing noise

beerdog

Registered
I have developed a ginding or rubbing noise whenever I slowly lurch the car forward. I can make it happen every time by quickly braking while rolling at idle. Any thoughts on what it might be?

I was thinking the same thing. It is also a little "clunky" when I hit bumps at slower speeds. I rebuilt the front end 2 years ago and did not use the OEM ones. They were hard rubber moogs, not the blue ones everyone complains about. What is teh inspection technique?

Parked on a level, paved surface, try to roll the front wheels by grasping at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and roll back and forth and see if the wheel physically moves forward or backward in the fenderwell.

Another method requires a helper. Drive the car very slowly and hit the brakes abruptly while having an observer watch the front wheel(s). Look for the wheel to physically move fore and aft in the fenderwell.

Parked on a level, paved surface, try to roll the front wheels by grasping at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock and roll back and forth and see if the wheel physically moves forward or backward in the fenderwell.

Another method requires a helper. Drive the car very slowly and hit the brakes abruptly while having an observer watch the front wheel(s). Look for the wheel to physically move fore and aft in the fenderwell.

I've done the second method to locate loose strut rod bushings that appeared to be ok when inspected. We were getting at least an inch of movement!

I think billcu posted a video of the symptoms once. It was really obvious - jabbin' the brakes would cause the wheel to move 2-3".

I rolled mine by hand and found worn bushings.

I think billcu posted a video of the symptoms once. It was really obvious - jabbin' the brakes would cause the wheel to move 2-3".

I rolled mine by hand and found worn bushings.

Wonder if DLF could make Delrin for those bushings. Would find a lot more takers I'm guessing...

I remember that video.2

I wish I was still doing the CNC thing. I could have whipped out bushings soo easy.

Wonder if DLF could make Delrin for those bushings. Would find a lot more takers I'm guessing...

Delrin is not a good material for the strut rod bushings, as they need to be somewhat flexible to do what they're designed to.

FWIW, I've tried Poly front end bushings and went back to the stock pieces.

Back