New Cats

MindyMark

Registered
On my 96 Cougar I replaced the cats at about 180k for the code "cat system efficiency below threshold". Well I went cheap and bought some generic ones from a company that I don't even think is in business anymore. The car never sounded the same and I recently had to have them gutted to fix a bad rattle that they had so the CE is back on.

Well I really don't want to spend the money on factory ones but I would really like to restore the quiet sound of the factory setup. I see on Rock Auto that Walker Exhaust sells a complete Y pipe assembly for just under $400. Would those be worth it or should I drop the big bucks and go factory?

Of course another option is to look into those MIL eliminators and go some catless system assuming it would sound normal.

Other suggestions? Thoughts?

Just have the exhaust shop cut your cats out and replace them with a piece of straight pipe and weld them in. (midpipes) I did that before i went headers and no cats thru my BassaniX. Works great and sounds very throaty without being obnoxiously loud.

Back