? air suspension question

bobbie

Registered
Been having a problem with the front bags going down whether sitting over night and sometimes driving. I took the air soleniods off and found one had the orings in the wrong place? put them back and put some vacuum grease on them and also took the other side ( they seemed like they were correct) put vacuum grease on them and overnight the car didnt go down. I am still thinking about replacing the fronts with springs. Can I leave the rear bags in? or is this a good idea? Also heard the rear shocks from 95-97 Tbird will replace the rear shocks on this 95 Mark VIII ( O'Reillys said they dont carry shocks for that car?) Anyone know if this is true? Thanks, Tom

True about the shocks - can not (or should not) combine air rear and springs front.....from what I've heard. I am sure you will hear more from other members. Why would you want to combine the two?

If you decide to go to springs... go front and rear.. don't mix them.
But..The ride on your Mark will change! I've done it, but I prefer a stiffer ride than the Mark had. I like to feel the road and I only drive the car on weekends when the weather is nice.
Also.. If you go with springs, get the 1.5" lowering springs and get it aligned front and rear.

What's wrong with coil springs in front and air springs in the rear?

If I was going to do that (which I'm not) I'd connect a switch to control the rear for different loads.

Fords, Mercury's and Lincolns have had rear airsprings with front coils for many years now.:)

I agree with Bill. And I know there are Marks out there with front coil and air rear. The problem may be that at some point the rears will leak.

i have t-bird coil struts in front and the stock bags in the rear of my car for now. they rears do leak so i wired them into switches so i can raise and lower the car whenever i want to. if the bags were faster going up and down i would keep them but im trying to go to coils in the rear of the car so i can aim my head lights right.

Is the air ride problem fixed? I took the car to Texas this past week-end, and the air-ride light never came on (WHEW!) Got home 800 mile trip. And when I got up this am the car was about 3 inches above the driveway? Dont these cars lower themselves automatically? so is this too much? Started it up and the front raised, but the compressor timed out before the back raised, so I turned off the ignition and re-started it, the compressor came back on and raised the rear bags back to normal. I am thinking all the bags are leaking since all four were down that much? Any ideas? I am really thinking about putting springs on this car, or selling it! Any offers?

What's wrong with coil springs in front and air springs in the rear?

If I was going to do that (which I'm not) I'd connect a switch to control the rear for different loads.

Fords, Mercury's and Lincolns have had rear airsprings with front coils for many years now.:)

I was told by my local Lincoln dealer that the car was never designed to have springs front and bags rear. By keeping the bags in the rear, handling would almost certainly be affected adversely. He compared it to mixing radial and bias-ply tires on the same car.

He was right in one regard. The car was designed for "Air Ride", and by going to springs is only a compromise based upon a failed air ride system/cost consideration.

I was told by my local Lincoln dealer that the car was never designed to have springs front and bags rear. By keeping the bags in the rear, handling would almost certainly be affected adversely. He compared it to mixing radial and bias-ply tires on the same car.

I hate to doubt you, but until I seem some "proof" of that I will consider it some Ford tech just not knowing his stuff and wanting to sound like he does. Unless he was on the design team, how would he know?

Did the VII had quad air? I honestly dont know. But I know the early 90s Contis did.

If the VII did then quad air would be the logical thing to do. We are talking Ford here, how often do you hear they skip the cheaper solution and go the expensive route?

"I hate to doubt you, but until I seem some "proof" of that I will consider it some Ford tech just not knowing his stuff and wanting to sound like he does. Unless he was on the design team, how would he know?"

Based on the rest of your answer, you must surely have been on the design team.. otherwise,... how would you know?

"I hate to doubt you, but until I seem some "proof" of that I will consider it some Ford tech just not knowing his stuff and wanting to sound like he does. Unless he was on the design team, how would he know?"

Based on the rest of your answer, you must surely have been on the design team.. otherwise,... how would you know?

Well... SORRY!

I would think the Mark VIII air ride system was designed for 4 airbags. Ok, 2 airbags and 2 air struts. One question that comes to mind, is how to you prevent the compressor from sending air to the front struts? Plug up the front lines? I don't know if that would be wise.

Another question that comes to mind, is how to you fool the Air ride computer into thinking the front struts are at their correct height, and are lowering on the highway, like they are supposed to? I would think that once you get on the highway, and the computer commands the front solenoids to dump some air out of the struts, it will keep trying to dump the solenoids until you get a "Check Air Ride" message.

Do yourself a favor and keep the air ride. I've been in Marks with spring conversions, and I didn't like it. Matter of fact, I've been in marks that had the OEM air set-up, and could run circles in corners around spring converted marks).

I don't know what you will ultimately decide, but I do know I'll NEVER get rid of the air ride on my Mark.

I would think the Mark VIII air ride system was designed for 4 airbags. Ok, 2 airbags and 2 air struts. One question that comes to mind, is how to you prevent the compressor from sending air to the front struts? Plug up the front lines? I don't know if that would be wise.

Another question that comes to mind, is how to you fool the Air ride computer into thinking the front struts are at their correct height, and are lowering on the highway, like they are supposed to? I would think that once you get on the highway, and the computer commands the front solenoids to dump some air out of the struts, it will keep trying to dump the solenoids until you get a "Check Air Ride" message.

Do yourself a favor and keep the air ride. I've been in Marks with spring conversions, and I didn't like it. Matter of fact, I've been in marks that had the OEM air set-up, and could run circles in corners around spring converted marks).

I don't know what you will ultimately decide, but I do know I'll NEVER get rid of the air ride on my Mark.

Well... I've driven my Mark with both air and springs and while the springs do ride a little stiffer and relay more road feel to the wheel... a PROPERLY converted Mark with lowered springs and a good 4-wheel alignment will out handle a stock air ride car any day.

Well... I've driven my Mark with both air and springs and while the springs do ride a little stiffer and relay more road feel to the wheel... a PROPERLY converted Mark with lowered springs and a good 4-wheel alignment will out handle a stock air ride car any day.

I've heard this all often, but its always been with Marks that had OLD air suspension that converted to NEW springs and absorbers. That pretty much makes it a mute point unless you have two Marks side-by-side with two NEW absorption systems installed. When I put in an all new system the car handled a MILLION times better.

I've heard this all often, but its always been with Marks that had OLD air suspension that converted to NEW springs and absorbers. That pretty much makes it a mute point unless you have two Marks side-by-side with two NEW absorption systems installed. When I put in an all new system the car handled a MILLION times better.

And once again you're making comments without knowing the facts... The air ride in mine was in excellent condition... and WOW! a MILLION times? What is this, sixth grade?

And once again you're making comments without knowing the facts... The air ride in mine was in excellent condition... and WOW! a MILLION times? What is this, sixth grade?

Grow up. Yes, I have compared. Three of my friends agreed the air-ride handled better than the coiled Mark. Both had new Monroe Sensa-track rears and pretty much the same tires. One person was even a "blind" test. So I have my "facts", how about you?

Grow up. Yes, I have compared. Three of my friends agreed the air-ride handled better than the coiled Mark. Both had new Monroe Sensa-track rears and pretty much the same tires. One person was even a "blind" test. So I have my "facts", how about you?

You make me laugh.. Did you read what you wrote? You'll write anything to make a point even if you have to make it up..
I'm through playing this silly game. Hope you enjoy the rest of Grade School.

Back