Wire Loom Under Hood Cracking

JERM

Registered
The wire loom that protects the wiring harness going over the intake is cracking and wires are starting to expose. They might see some high temps on a long drive so i want to protect them. What is the best way to wrap these? I dont think electrical tape would be good sitting ontop of the intake. Sooo... Should i just buy the wire loom in the packaging and just cover the factory wiring and the cracking factory loom with the next size bigger? That probably wouldn't look good. Is there something i can wrap it in that wont be effected by the heat like regular electrical tape?

I'd us a segmented plastic split loom conduit.

wire_loom_big.jpg

Yeah thats what i was figuring i should use. Should i just cover the factory loom without repairing it, other than using those? Thanks

Most of that stuff you buy at auto parts houses will not stand up to the heat. I've been there and done that. You will find it melted in places and if not, after a year or so, it will be so brittle it will fall apart when you touch it. You need heat resistant split loom tubing.

You can buy the real thing at NAPA parts jobbers or here: http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=15.

Summit, Jegs and others sell a variety of hi-temp products as well. I've found this stuff works very well:

CoolTubeExtreme300RGB.jpg

Cool Tube Extreme - An evolution from the original Cool-Tube that offers much more. More heat protection, up to 750 degrees. More flexibility, comes un-slit but can be easily slit to install on existing hoses or wires without removal. More choices, offered in 5 diameters and four colors. Lighter weight, 50% lighter.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=46

mini-DSC02614.JPG

The harness going across the intake was protected using split Cool Tube over top of the OEM cover. Other harnesses were stripped and replaced with the hi-temp black split loom.

Last edited:
Just cover it, it will be fine. Heats not the concern, they will "bake" no matter what, the main concern is oil/fuel vapors/etc. When you get that stuff on wires and add heat they break down.

Rofl

Rofl

Dang J
i cant believe i just sat though that entire video. hahaha hahah stinkin utube is the ultimate time waster. ahhahaha Nothing else to do while im banging on this laptop when the big computers new hardrive is being formatted though. lol Thanks JP for the link to those heat shields. :cool: I want black ones.

Back