What PS fluid to use?

Tractionless

Registered
The owners manuel says P/N XT-2-QDX which is Motorcraft MERCON ATF with Ford spec. MERCON.

The repair manuel says P/N E6AZ-19582-AA which is Motorcraft PS fluid with Ford spec. F.

I did a search and see many of you have used the spec. F fluid and did note some suffered leaks after using it.

I am confused and don't want to use the wrong product costing hundreds of dollars in PS racks, pumps, etc.

Any ideas?

Also I have heard Bluecollar has posted a PS flush article somewhere at LOD. Anyone have a link?

Thanks

RE: What PS fluid to use?

Since I couldn't get a straight answer online I wound up asking the local Lincoln dealer and my usual mechanic, who is very reputible.

They both said to use MERCON III. They both said the type F is essentially the same fluid with additional additives for anti-foaming etc. I was weary of using the Type F as I saw some posts of leaking. If the type F has additives for anti-foaming etc. I think it may be the same as using a full synthetic oil in an high mileage motor which has only had dino oil.....seals start to leak.

I performed the flush and fill yesterday and the pump is now silent! The process was very easy and the old fluid smelled burnt.

Should have done it alot sooner!!

Back