Tranny rebuild

T man

Registered
My torque converter is dieing and I'm sure the rest of the transmission will not long after...

Now its time to start stocking parts for me... And I'd want to know what would allow my transmission to chirp 2nd and 3rd?

I'm interested in a 9.5in stall converter but I'm unsure about the stall speed (I've never been to the drag track..) the car is an s/c car too if it makes a difference.

(Was thinking about 3000 rpm stall?)

(Was thinking about 3000 rpm stall?)

I don't know how it would do with a S/C but I was very pleased going with a 3500 stall and then again upgrading to a 3800 stall.

I second contacting Lonnie, he's one of the best in the business and a supporting vendor here.

Ya...it'd be fine. Under normal driving, you don't have to take it to 3500 rpms to get the car to move or anything. Thats just the RPM that the converter goes into full lock-up instead of slipping.

I have several videos on my cardomain that you can watch to get a feel/idea of how it looks under regular driving.

What kind of SC? A high stall TC - 3600, and high rear gear - 410's is used with a centrifugal blower to get the car moving. I have that setup in my Mark, and is a dream to drive on the street until you mash the go pedal. Then hold on... :)

What kind of SC? A high stall TC - 3600

Procharger.

I'd want to keep some top end so I think I'd rather go with 3.73's (I still have stock everything in my car..) The tranny is shifting like its factory again (it was tuned to shift harder and I tried reloading the tune to no result) :frown:

I made a few phone calls and was told a 3000 stall?

My car still has never seen the track, but it has seen stop light wars. So i'm not sure if I'd be cut out for that high of a stall. Unless you can convince me on it. haha.

373's and a 3000 stall tc would be like driving a stock Mark VIII. Before I went with a supercharger, I had a PI 3200 stall single disc tc with the 410's and t-lock, and cut about a second off my 1/4 times with drag radials from 15 seconds to 14 seconds.

When I had the supercharger installed, I had the PI single disc tc re-stalled to 3600, and knocked another 2 seconds off my 1/4 mile times from 14 seconds to 12 seconds.

Now, with the new forged stroker motor and much more boost, I went with the PI triple disc with 3600 stall, and hope to knock at least another 1/2 second or so off my 1/4 mile times.

I tool around town with no problems at all with the 3600 stall tc, and have been on long distance road trips, again, with no problems. :)

Yep, that's what I was told by all the vendors as well. Trust me they know NOT what they talk about when it comes to high stall converters on a Mark VIII. After listening to them I went with what I was told here.

Call Lonnie at BOC and talk to him. We wouldn't steer you wrong and he wouldn't either. He knows the drivetrain in these cars inside and out.

Procharger.

I'd want to keep some top end so I think I'd rather go with 3.73's (I still have stock everything in my car..) The tranny is shifting like its factory again (it was tuned to shift harder and I tried reloading the tune to no result) :frown:

My car still has never seen the track, but it has seen stop light wars. So i'm not sure if I'd be cut out for that high of a stall. Unless you can convince me on it. haha.

Most vendors get a decent price break on say the standard PI 3000 stall and with most vehicles such as a Mustang it does pretty good. This is one of the main reasons they push them. The other problem is the majority of speed shops and Internet vendors cater to the Mustangs and haven't a clue about the Mark 8.

Your stock stall is around 2800 so bumping it up 200 rpm for that amount of money isn't worth it. The pump used in the PI will allow for more torque multiplication and that's what most actually feel when just going with that setup. There are much better TCs out there that can give you the same multiplication but will actually hold up much better and allow you to fully lock up your TC at WOT, where as the PI will not.

I've been pretty busy setting up the new shop and all that goes with moving but had a chance last week to test out our new Stage V trans with the new Stage IV multi disc TC. This vehicle with hardly any timing in it is making over 800 rwhp. The Stage V trans is currently the most advanced and built 4R75W out there. No one else is building what we have in this one. As for this TC, I had to back off the lockups because they were so solid at 7200 plus rpm it would immediately bog the engine and drop it out of it's power band. But since we had already discussed this as a possible problem the friction material we chose is set up to allow for slippage. The difference was dramatic on the next run. With just a few changes I made in the TC program he was able to cut almost 8 tenths and 7 mph. We were really trying to get kicked off the track that night but the customer ran out of fuel after that last run and so I couldn't finish up the tuning. I know for a fact it will be in the mid to low 9s but the best we got was 10.7 @ 135 mph, short times 1.5 flat. If he would have hit 9.99 they would have kicked us off since this is a completely stock bodied vehicle, full interior with just a bolt in roll bar. This was the maiden runs for both our new trans and TC so the first 4 runs weren't full passes because we had to check things out and evaluate each run.

It is a DOHC also but with some crafty tuning, Boss 330 built short block and heads. Look to see it in another MM&FF issue. Oh and it's driven on the street and sounds like a typical car with a set of Magnaflows.

Anyways back the TC, you would be much better off with a higher stall. Give me a call or email me 317 718-7231, lonnie@blueovalchips.com and I'll see what I can do for you. If you have a dyno graph that would help also.

An update on this vehicle. The customer is now back in FL and felt that there might be a problem with the car since we fully expected to break the 9s with it. Come to find out he had several misfires going on during our track session. With that amount of hp you can drop a few cylinders and not even know it. He got it up on the dyno yesterday and found the misfires, replaced the coils and is now ready to hit the track again. Those misfires cost him just over 100 rwhp. Hopefully I'll have some video of him in the 9s here shortly. Lesson learned, don't use the Granatelli COPs. This is not the first time I've run into problems with these units.

If you have a dyno graph that would help also.

What stall do you think for this?

And I don't go to the track (so I'm not sure if I want it that high) , I just want a fun drive to work. :eek:

I'm trying to sell an intercooler and wheels now to raise some money. :wink:

dyno.jpg

I'm not sure about the boost line. I get about 7psi???

Last edited:
Lesson learned, don't use the Granatelli COPs. This is not the first time I've run into problems with these units.

Granatelli? Is that the same company as motoblue? (I use motoblue COPs and sometimes feel like I'm loosing power).

That is definitely a Jerry tune there. The stack on DR's dyno is pretty accurate so your boost level is more than likely what you seen on the graph. I would go with at least a 3600 stall since you are going to be driving it on the street a lot. I have a 3600 in my Lincoln Town Car and I let customers and friends drive it all the time, they don't even notice the TC until they nail it that is. I kept the same tune in it as what I had with the 3000 stall and did notice a slight decline in mpg. But after some proper tuning I was able to get almost all of it back. This is the same car I drove down the street from DR's all the way to Danville, IN and got 26 mpg on average and 16 city with a performance tune and the 3600 stall TC.

Now if it were my car I would actually be looking at a 3800 - 4000 stall.

By the way guys, my customer broke into the 9s and was asked to leave the track over the weekend. I still have to make some more adjustments to the TC but we now know for a fact that the car will hit mid 9s.

Bob-breaks-9s.jpg

Last edited:
I wish it was one of my blown Marks. This is a 01 Bullitt that we did the 4R70W conversion a couple years back down in FL. Basically he's been one of the test-beds for each new TC and trans stage. The Mark 8 guys don't want to venture into the high end stuff too often like the Mustangs and trucks will. I've had a couple and they went with someone cheaper. Then when that failed they either wanted me to pick up the pieces and give them a break or they tossed the whole project. I had 2 that I hated to turn away but I couldn't fit them in the time frame they wanted. I really needed some heavy weight vehicles too. I have a couple F150s now that are pushing 700 hp. So I'll see how well the products hold up on the really heavy vehicles.

This guy was running a big bore 2V and kept lifting the heads. Actually he could never get the cylinder sleeves to stay put. Boss 330 went through the engine 4 or more times until the owner said enough. Now it's a 20 over Mark 8 block with all the good stuff, ported 4V C heads, ported Cobra intake, Vortech 16 lbs, Stage V trans and Stage IV multi disc TC with my programming.

This is a full interior, full weight, bolt-in roll bar, stock suspension with drag shocks and aftermarket lower control arms, drag radials, daily driver that could pass through any neighborhood at 2 in the morning without being noticed.

Sounds good. I'm going to try and call tomorrow after I put the intercooler and wheels on ebay :wink:

No problem, I spent most of the day today working out some stuff with an 02 LS V8. These gen ones have some programming issues that require some work. If you don't get me, leave a message.

Back