HID conversion

devicemanager

Registered
Tomorrow I am going to take a stab at the HID conversion for my 96. I have all the parts and bulbs already in place. Just to play it safe what do the red and black wires coming out of the ballasts connect to? Also where is everyone mounting the ballasts? Thanks!

RE: HID conversion

The lights are in and I can't wait for it to get darker to really put them to the test. Couple of questions. The lights give off a blue light, is this nomal? One side blinks sometimes when the lights are first turned on. Also I get the check lights warning from the message center when I first start the car and the lights have been off for a while. Is the bulb or ballast on its way out or is the perfectl normal... I will post som pics soon!

Blue is normal. Blue is good.

They'll flash quickly when you turn them on - initial burst of juice getting stuff started.

They shouldn't flicker - that's a sign of 6-9 months before bulb dies. They also show age by taking longer to turn blue (start out yellowish for just a few moments)

Lookin’ good Ray!!! I think you should leave the hood white... :p

My lights flicker sometimes as well, even when they were new, I've had them from over a year now and they still work fine. They take a little bit longer to warm up then when they were new but I don't find it troublesome. As they get a little older (if they do what mine do) you'll find they will have three (for lack of a better term) 'color cycles' that they will go through when you turn them on. Mine flash a bright yellow, then kinda’ go to a red with a yellow center, then to a very blue, then they warm up to a much whiter blue. The whole warming up process takes maybe 5 seconds for the lights to go from off to full intensity.

-Joe

I am getting the check exterior light warning from the message center the 1st time the lights are turned on. If I reset the warning and turn the lights off and then on I do not get the warning. Could this be because the lights aren't comin on fast enough for the computer to reconise that they are on???

Thanks

Christo, email me about the check lamps warning - I'll give you the part numbers for the resistors you have to put it (I'd post them, but have to find it first) ... It's a common problem. Everyone who converted their halogens to HIDs experienced the same thing. Some cut the wire to the message center, others (including myself) used a resistor to "fix" it.

EDIT:

Never mind... I found it on the old site, just needed some different search terms. They are 7.5 ohm, 25 watt, “chassis mount” resistors. and you install them between the hot side of the ballast and ground, using thermal grease on a metal surface as a heat sink. If you haven't done it or it doesn't make sense, read the post before you try it, don't just listen to my ramblings!

I also discovered I miss reading Theologian's posts...

Ahh, the old days.

Scott

Original, bone head post:

Anyone ever get the resister part number from Jeremi? Anyone point me to what to do with the resister once I know what it is?

Thanks,
Scott

Back