blinking airbag dash light...

GR8VIII

Registered
frequently to infrequently. What the heck can go wrong with THAT stupid thing???

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

RE: blinking airbag dash light...

ok man, here is the scoop. Turn your car on, thencount how many times it blinks, then it will stop, then it will blink another some more.

Most likely it will blink 3 times in a row, then blink another number of times. like 32 or 31, or 39, ect.. Whatever that code is, you can look it up and see exactly what is wrong with it.

No kidding?! I didn't know that's how that worked. Thanks, Joe. But of course every time I now start up and get prepared to count, it no longer blinks. You were about right on the frequency, tho. I remember it'd blink about three times and stop. About the time I'd figure it had resolved itself it'd start blinking like crazy again. So what sort of problems can be associated with this condition? Just a bad electricsl connection somewhere?

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

This somewhat similar, so I'll post it. My son had a 95 Taurus that had the blinking airbag light, a couple of years ago. We let it go for about three months and finally took it to the dealer for repair. The problem turned out to be a wire under the hood that had shorted out or was broken. The shop probably took about three hours to find it, so the labor wasn't cheap. Although the shop cost was under $3 for the part. Nothing was wrong with the airbag system and the blinking did not represent any specific code.

A year or two later, after changing the electric fan that cools the engine, the blinking air bag light can back on. So after a couple of days we rechecked all connections and examined all wires that we may have touched. After that search, without finding an obvious loose connection or breaks, the light did not come back on when the car was restarted and never did.

IMO, I would definitely do this type of search. Recall any recent underhood repairs, and check those connections and for any broken (or possibly broken) wires in the immediate area. Maybe do a section at a time to try to isolate the problem, by rechecking for the blinking light from time to time.

Best of luck.

OK, thanks for that. I'll look around and start jiggling wires. Frankly, I couldn't care less whether or not the bags are working. I just don't like being blinked at.....unless it's by Trixie.

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

The airbag light can also stay on full time, which means there is a different kind of problem, or it can blink a code, like it was most likely doing to you. If my memory seves me right msot of the blinking codes are related to some sort of impedience problem. (shorted wire, or bad resistor)

Cool. Thanks guys. Today it blinked three times, paused and then blinked twice. Is that considered a thirty-two?

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

yea that is a 32. IT is casued by the driver side airbag circuit, IT has either high ressitance or is open circuit. This one is primarily cause by harness connectors located int eh steering column. There are some white molex looking connectors that might not be mated togeather right, causing the problems that you have noticed.

Man, you guys are great. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Barry Ames
'93 blk/gry 87k
Lake Forest, CA

Back