what the hell happened?

Pauls dropped 8

Registered
i was leaving a friends house early this morning, got into the car and started her up the same way i do every night/morning. this time, when i start the car, this loud screaching sound starts with the car. at first i thought it was a belt but after i rolled down the window i quickly realized it wasnt a belt but what sounded like the starter continuing to try and start the car. i immediately take the keys out of the ignition but the starter is still going and the engine is still running. not knowing what to do, i put the keys back in and fire it back up. the car starts up but the noise is still going. i pull the keys out again, noise keeps going and i pop the hood. i stood there staring off into the engine hoping id see something that could be causing this. after a few minutes, it finally stops. i didnt want to get back into the car and start it up again since i was in an appartment buildings parking lot and im sure the people sleeping didnt appreciate it the 1st time. i eventually got back in, started the car, and drove off with no noise.

now what the hell happened? it sounded like when u try and start a car thats already been started. that loud screaching sound the starter makes would not stop for about 5 minutes even when i took the keys out.

RE: what the hell happened?

Sounds like a bad starter solenoid. I had to replace one on my Mustang for the exact same reason. Never done it on the Mark though.

Sounds like your starter solenoid stuck engaged. I've seen instances where disconnecting the battery is the only solution to stop it.

I've not been blessed with replacing a starter on a Mark, but unless the K-member or exhaust is in the way, it shouldn't be too bad. Disconnect the battery. Disconnect & tag the wires on the starter. Unbolt the starter and remove. Usually 3 bolts and at least one is a PITA. Do yourself a favor and replace the whole deal. Just replacing the solenoid is an option but very seldom justifiable.

Exact same thing happened to me, but I couldn't get it diagnosed in time. I drove with it doing that for about a month. Than on my honey moon, 10,000 feet up in the middle of the Rockies, the starter died and we were stranded for 2 days. THe thieves that feed on tourists charged me almost $400, but I know respectable shops charge half that. If you jack up the passenger side, you can see the starter.

I replaced mine on my 97, on my back in a cramped garage with a flashlight in my mouth. With these conditions, R&R was just about 1/2 hour. Two 10mm bolts and a couple nuts that hold the electrical connections... a little finagling to get it past the bell housing and exhaust pipes and viola..

i was planning on taking the car up to the mechanic today but found that it wouldnt start at all or make any noise for that matter. had AAA send out a flatbed but was denied service due to the cars slammed stance. the mechanic told me to get in the car and hold the key in the start position while someone bangs on the starter with the hopes that it starts up so i can drive it to them to have it fixed. i think im just gonna get one of my buddys over here with a tool set and fix the damn thing myself. how much does a starter run for these days? god i hope its just the starter...

i dont know what the hells going on. i just went out to turn the ignition on to try and get the compressor to come on and raise the car up. while doing this, i could hear the compressor kick on then shut off and then i get the "check charging system" message. what could be the problem now?

well i got it up to the mechanic. i decided, after some advice from my mother, to jump the car and it worked. so now im thinking the starter and either the battery or the alternator are shot.

According to the manual on my '93. the Check Charging System warning is displayed only when the voltage drops to 9 volts! Assuming you turned on the ignition to run the compressor and it ran for less than 90 seconds... IMO the battery is shot. Not an unusual occurence to be simultaneous with a starter going bad... one feeds off the other. Hopefully the alternator survives this attempt at the electrical triple crown - battery, alternator and starter.

When your starter motor got stuck engaged, it likely ran your battery down, or "low".
It takes ALLOT of voltage/juice to turn a motor over..and over.. and over for FIVE SOLID minutes.

That is why the car wouldn't air up to get on the flat bed.

More than likley a low voltage situation is what made your starter hang up.

Check/charge/replace the battery
{no matter HOW OLD/YOUNG it is}

Then, move to the starter motor.

the battery is cheaper, easier to install, and SHOULD be still under warranty.
I'd replace the batter FIRST.. then.. after you get "proper voltage" to your electrical system..
THEN... see if the start is still acting stupid.

the battery is cheaper, easier to install, and SHOULD be still under warranty

warranty? whats that? anyway, the car is now fine. popped a new starter in and charged the battery and all is good. shes starting like a champ now and im off to try a new combo of cheap subwoofers...

Back