Code #P1537

Okiemark

Registered
Earlier I was out driving and i went into Walmart and got some things. When i came out i got a Check Engine Light. Its code #P1537-IMRC Malfunction(Bank one stuck open). What do i need to do to resolve this problem??

The IMRC have to "stick" 3 times before the code sets.

So when it comes back, you'll know they stuck.. atleast 3 times.

SEAFOAM!!!!

I Cleared the code and drove it fofr about 10 minutes. Came right back on. I seafoamed my car about a week ago also. Where exactly would the IMRC bank one be at? Im not familiar with it i just know its there for better torque and hp and to make a wider powerband.

I seafoamed my car about a week ago also..

rinse, lather, repeat.

If it were me.. I'd chunk 1 or 2 more cans at it.. it's far cheaper than the alternative.

I'd exhaust all options before pulling the intake off the car.
The IMRCs are "between the heads and the intake".

Bank 1
I presume would be the drivers side... or whichever side has the furthest forward spark plug.

101_1080.jpg

I took my intake tube off and was cleaning around it there and found this. It looks to be a vacuum like going to the IMRC's. Could This be my problem?

Replaced the tube. Took her for a test drive and right before i pull into the driveway i hit a hole in the road and the cel came back on. same code. Any other suggestions?

Replaced the tube. Took her for a test drive and right before i pull into the driveway i hit a hole in the road and the cel came back on. same code. Any other suggestions?

If it were me, I'd consider that I may have not quite put the hose on right. The sudden jolt may have knocked it loose also.

you mean the throttle body? Their opening up right now. i checked the piece i just put in and it seems like its on their correctly. Ill be able to tell you more once the engine cools down and i can get up top for a good look/feel. I cleaned the throttle body with seafoam and a bunch of gunk came off of it also

No luck with the vacuum line connector. im going to seafoam a couple times and if that doesnt work then i think ima wait til i get my engine finished being built and swap em out. hopefully runnin with the IMRC's stuck open wont mess anything up.

The thing that puzzles me, is "the IMRC are open" by default via spring tension.
IF I'm not mistaken they are "pulled shut" by vacuum.

So it really seems like you have a vacuum supply issue.

Are you working on a first or second gen? sorry for the stupid question

On my first gen there was a vacuum T at the back of the drivers side head that supplied the vaccum for the actuators.

I may be wrong, but the IMRC controller doesnt "do anything" other than "report back to the PCM" the position of the IMRC's.. IF I understand the second gen IMRC's correctly.

Does the second gen have the same actuators on the back on the heads as the first gens?
*shruggs*

sorry more questions than answers...

On my first gen there was a vacuum T at the back of the drivers side head that supplied the vaccum for the actuators.

I may be wrong, but the IMRC controller doesnt "do anything" other than "report back to the PCM" the position of the IMRC's.. IF I understand the second gen IMRC's correctly.

Does the second gen have the same actuators on the back on the heads as the first gens?
*shruggs*

sorry more questions than answers...

He has a 96, that is what it says on his profile. And 97-98 are different from 93-95.(note not 96) Gen I are works with the vaccum to open the IMRC's and Gen II work with a motor that opens and closes them. 96 were different from both but I forgot what the difference was now.

Last edited:
the piece that i replaced was the T. Vaccum closes Mine(i was layin over my engine and opening them with my hands while tthe engine was on) . Everything is running fine and it isnt doing anything funny as far as i can tell. they close all the way and open all the way so idk whats up. Do you think it would hurt to not do anything about it til i get my newer engine in? I mean if all it does is report to the PCM

Running the car with a stuck IMRC, be it actually stuck.. or the controller just "reporting" it being stuck will have no detrimental effects on your engine...other than a loss of bottom end power.

In my chiltons book it sais their is a right vacuum actuator and a left vacuum actuator. Left is the drivers side valve cove nd the right goes into the fender(im assuming it goes to the overfill canister?) Line coming from the IMRC has great vacuum and if you clogg it the car stalls. If i wanted to clean the IMRC would i hook the vacuum line goin to the valve cover up to the SEAFOAM? Would that mess sommin up or would it be okay? Usually when i seafoam i use the egr valve on the booster as it goes straight into the intake.

Back