Oil additive

Misanthropy

Information Junkie
So I have heard it from a former funny car driver and the dude teaching me how to rebuild trannies, that one of their ways to help clear the crap out of the engine is to add tranny fluid. One of them suggested I believe it was half and half for about 10 minutes or so (talked to him back in highschool.) and the other suggested 1 quart between oil changes. If really bad apply 2 or so more times.

Any knowledge of this or is there an easier way to do this. I am about to change my oil and filter is why I was asking. Thanks.

30 years ago thats what my dad told me to do to free up stick lifters in my 63 Buick Special ... IMO: I don't think its a good thing anymore.

steve

All that old school stuff is just that, old school. Personally I would not do it, they make stuff to flush engines if needed. And I use Mobil 1 in my mark, no need to add to it.

I use Castrol. What weight do you use and the exact name of the mobil1. I am guessing it has some type of detergent in it? I might pick that up.

I use Castrol. What weight do you use and the exact name of the mobil1. I am guessing it has some type of detergent in it? I might pick that up.

The same weight as is called for 5w-30 and just the good old Mobil 1 full synthetic. All certified oils that meet the specs in the owner's manuals have detergency in them today. Cars today with the oil monitors go 1 year or 15k miles or more between oil changes per the manufactures recommendations.

its still common practice, and works great. you can also add a quart of ATF to a tank of gas to clean your intake ports and tops of your valves. a quart to a tank of gas is thined out enough that there is no problem doing it.

The same weight as is called for 5w-30 and just the good old Mobil 1 full synthetic. All certified oils that meet the specs in the owner's manuals have detergency in them today. Cars today with the oil monitors go 1 year or 15k miles or more between oil changes per the manufactures recommendations.

BTW Steve those recommendations are crap. Especially from BMW . Plenty of BMW owners sent their oil to the labs to only have the "recommended" rating be halved.

7500 miles is the maximum the oil should be run on those cars.

My vette showed plenty of wear at 6000 miles even though the DTC said 35% oil life left.

The crown Vic on the other hand had 1/2 the wear of the vette at 8000 miles so I am changing it at that mileage now.

So some cars may be ok with 10k miles but most of the extended interval crap is just a marketing gimmick.

Don't let EvilTwin on CF the GM engineer who worked on the oil life monitor hear you talk like that or he will smack you. In you case it is the nut behind the wheel again. :p
I will take the automotives engineers word who did extensive testing over yours, sorry. :D

BTW Steve those recommendations are crap. Especially from BMW . Plenty of BMW owners sent their oil to the labs to only have the "recommended" rating be halved.

7500 miles is the maximum the oil should be run on those cars.

My vette showed plenty of wear at 6000 miles even though the DTC said 35% oil life left.

The crown Vic on the other hand had 1/2 the wear of the vette at 8000 miles so I am changing it at that mileage now.

So some cars may be ok with 10k miles but most of the extended interval crap is just a marketing gimmick.

These are not two cycle engines here to be mixing oil and gas, also what is happening with the O2 sensors and wetting of the intakes with oil in the fuel. I've been around a while and although Iv'e heard some of the old timers talk of doing this you have to know those were done on bone yard engines with plugged oild gallies and return lines. I would not do it with our modular motors.

seafoam, marvals, and many other things people put in gas have oils in them. i have ran 2 cycle oil in my RX7, and have done the ATF in the fuel on my SHO, never had any ill effects, along with many other than have done the same.

Ok, so I am realizing beside the point of putting atf in my gas tank. I have no idea what that would do or really care to find out. Running it in an rx7 that red lines around 14k is a little different imo than the dohc 4.6 as an additive in gas or oil. 2 cycle addative is a mixture of oil along with fuel. I have a 30cc weed eater that takes 2 cycle addative. I have never been a fan of power band and don't see how it relates to a high performance engine.

The reason of this post was to find out if I should add a quart of atf to my oil between changes, to run it as a different scenario, or to completely bypass the idea.

Thank you for any comments.

Roadboss I will bypass this due to your comment, but I must know if you were talking about a gas tank additive or as a engine oil additive. Seeing as atf is about the same as engine oil, not factoring in durability or break down. Would it be possible to add it as a detergent between oil changes without damaging engine parts?

Last edited:
I would not put ATF in my engine, it was not designed for it, and it is way too expensive to use as an additive. I am not a chemist, but I did represent Castrol metal working fluids so they did send me to some of their tech schools, and I have learned from them you could end of with something you are not looking for by playing cocktail waiter. Have you seen how much oil sits in our heads? I would want to keep cruddy stuff from building up, and that is one of the reasons there is a specified oil and filter change spec. I have attached a pic of my original engine after we pulled it apart with 80,000 miles. As you can see there is not a whole bunch of crud, which speeaks well for the sealing of the engine and it's prior maintance (which I had nothing to do with). In general I am not a big fan of engine oil additives (even those that offer more lubricity) as I want it in the oil I am using.

Attachments

• 100_2480.jpg
    100_2480.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2481.jpg
    100_2481.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
I think once I receive my oil relocation kit I will just replace the filter twice every oil change to try and clean it up. I am going to apply for an engine rebuilding class later this year so hopefully I can be rebuilding engines and transmissions.

its still common practice, and works great.

Its not "that" common, but seriously, HOW do you KNOW it works great? I've heard and done this before with my 5.0 engine after I got water in it, but as a cleanser before a regular oil change no. If you upkeep your car/engine and don't neglect it you won't have to worry about using additives and crap.

you can also add a quart of ATF to a tank of gas to clean your intake ports and tops of your valves.

Ok, DO NOT add OIL to your fuel. The last thing you want to do is put more oil into your crank case and any oil into your fuel/evaporative system. Its bad enough that most cars pass oil through the PCV but if you're adding any amount of oil to the fuel to "clean" the intake ports and tops of valves you're gonna cause problems.

+1 for what MIS said, an RX7 is a completely different machine and is pretty much a lawn mower, lol.

I cringe thinking about my fuel injectors spirting (should be a spray) out drops of ATF mixed in with the gas, lol.

I think once I receive my oil relocation kit I will just replace the filter twice every oil change to try and clean it up. I am going to apply for an engine rebuilding class later this year so hopefully I can be rebuilding engines and transmissions.

Not a bad idea, just get the cheapy Napa Silver filters if you're going to go that route.

rx7's still have fuel injectors, and only rev to 8k, not that much different. the reason behind 2 cycle oil in them is because STOCK they inject ENGINE oil directly into the cyclinder, and 2 cycle oil doesn't burn well at all. it builds up to a horible degree, and you actually have to pour ATF into the cyclinders to break it up to get the car to run right. when you add oil to the gas, you can take off the stock oil injection system. there are 1000+hp cars doing it, oil in the gas in a fuel injected car is nothing new.

and the ATF in the fuel is semi popular in the SHO taurus world, thats the first place i heard of it actually, suposed to be some old school trick. i have personally done it twice myself and have seen pics showing the buildup on the top of the valves starting to come off after just 3/4 tank. and your not adding oil to the intake, it gets sprayed directly into the port under pressure. and a 1/64 ratio (just for the sake if arguement) of oil to fuel is so thin, its not going to put extra oil anywhere enough to matter.

keeping your engine clean from day one is a great idea, but 99% of us bought our cars used, and most people neglect their cars.

and your not adding oil to the intake, it gets sprayed directly into the port under pressure.

Technically you're not, but with blowby and crankcase pressure coming through the PCV into the intake tube or manifold, now you have ATF and engine oil in the intake. :D

keeping your engine clean from day one is a great idea, but 99% of us bought our cars used, and most people neglect their cars.

So true, but for arguements sake only, there are much better alternatives then ATF in your gas. You got to remember that when you recommend something, there will always be that one guy that over does what you say and puts 1/2 tank of ATF and 1/2 tank of gas in his car to clean his engine. LMAO :D

I say, STICK to SeaFoam! Proven improvements time and time again.

You got to remember that when you recommend something, there will always be that one guy that over does what you say and puts 1/2 tank of ATF and 1/2 tank of gas in his car to clean his engine. LMAO :D

LMAO!!! and so true!

if one quart is good, 12 must be great :p

Don't let EvilTwin on CF the GM engineer who worked on the oil life monitor hear you talk like that or he will smack you. In you case it is the nut behind the wheel again. :p
I will take the automotives engineers word who did extensive testing over yours, sorry. :D

Did he also work on the Column lock? The rear diff seals? Or what about the rear wheels? lol

Catch my drift?

You can do as you wish, I will follow what my lab results told me.

Lol! Who are you kidding, engineers have NO common sense, yet they are smarter then two people combined!

Back