A premature balljoint failure

billcu

Head Moderator
Staff member
I had to replace a lower control arm on my green Mark.

It had about 50K miles on it, I put it in when I bought the car. It was a TRW/Moog Lincoln part.

It still looks like new, but the boot on the balljoint was ripped and it was binding up and popping. I couldn't see the rip in the boot, when it was on the car, because it was on the inside towards the center of the car.

It's too bad that they can't make the rubber parts last as long as the steel parts.:)

Those didn't have grease fittings, did they? That certainly was not good life. I only mentioned the fittings because sometimes people over fiiled with grease and blew the boot. What do you think caused the boot failure?

These were sealed ball joints, no grease fittings. I'm not sure why the boot failed.

I got to thinking about it and I wondered if it was possible that you ran thru some deep snow that may have had some ice in it that could have sliced the seal ??

I got to thinking about it and I wondered if it was possible that you ran thru some deep snow that may have had some ice in it that could have sliced the seal ??

Any kind of road debris could have sliced it for that matter.

Back