Making a list for Trac-Loc 4.10 Install, could use some input.

AnthraxBird

Registered
Well I'm gonna upgrade the Diff.

Im gonna need:

1. 8.8 Trac-Lok 28 Spline
2. 4.10 Gear Set

Now does a new unit from Rock Auto come with all the bearings, and you just install? How much gear oil and friction modifier? Any other parts or recommendations for the swap? Thanks =P

You also neew a shim kit.
Look through some older posts... I believe I actually listed the part #s earlier. It may be a good idea to upgrade the bearings also ford racing used to sell everything you need. For around $110 or so on top of the gears and trac-lock.

My reply from another thread...

You want a 28 spline "IRS" differential. The Ford traction-lok is a good in-expensive setup and is rebuildable. Usually you can find a good deal on a used one and rebuild it good as new. You can use a non-IRS unit if you remove the circlips from the end of the half-shafts that go into the spider gears.

If you start with a used housing, you can build the rear end in the used housing and install it with minimal downtime. It's actually fairly easy to swap the housings out. Then you can sell the one you swapped out and recoup the cost of the used unit.

You should be able to buy a used housing for $150 and a used traction-lok for less than $100. Here's some other part numbers and old pricing:

Ring & Pinion(4.10s) / M-4209-G410 / $149.25
Installation Kit / M-4210-B / $78.20
(2) axle seals / $16.84
(2) axle bearings / $20.00
(2) axle nuts / $12.28
Trac-Lok Rebuild kit / M-4700-B / $39.10

Budget some some gear oil and friction additive too.

Im actually taking the Diff out and taking it to a driveline shop. I did some in school, but it's been a while and im not gonna take chances on having it whine lol. Would I still need the Installation kit?

Yes, the installation kit includes new bearings and the shims for a proper install.

Back