RedHot IS Flooding

HOTLNC

Charter Member
Paid Member
Ok, what causes flooding in these cars?

I replaced the cam sensor connector and it started. I let it run for 5 minutes and then shut it down. I went back to test drive it after bolting on the power steering Reservoir. It would not start. I pulled the battery cable to reset the computer. Five minutes later it still would not start. I could smell raw gas. I did a WOT and cranked. After a few revs, it started just as if it was flooded. It blue white smoke and smelled like a gas station.

The only times I have seen an EFI car actually flood was due to the IAC. That means it could be the IAC connector, the IAC itself or even the IAC passage in the throttle body.

Ok, maybe it ain't flooding.... I just did some experiments. There is water leaking from the front of both mufflers. While the motor runs, it drips from the front of both sides. The water has a metalic/iodine type of smell. I don't think it is coolant.

When it will not fire, i must do a WOT to get it to fire. It barely runs and them smooths out.

Surely this is not a bad head gasket?
Can fuel tank water pass though a OEM fuel filter?

Water is a by-product of combustion. It's normal for some water to come out of your exhaust.

Have you removed the sparkplugs and inspected/cleaned them yet?

No I have not. I'm about to test drive it for an hour at highway speeds and then will inspect the spark plugs.

If this is condensation from the exhaust, then it is flooded with moisture. (I hope that is what it is.)

"from the far side"....

Pull the vacuum line off your fuel pressure regulator, see if there is gas inside that vaccum line or if it smells like fuel.

If so.. your FPR diaphram is leaking

wow, good answer.

I was going to suggest leaky fuel injector, but leaky FPR diaphragm seems more likely and more consistent with the symptoms.

Thanks. I did that last week. The regulator is working and there is no leaking diagram.

Back