Meguiars #21

black97lsc

Registered
Last month I took my girlfriend's black car in to a local hand car wash and the guy tried to sell me on having the car waxed and applying this sealant, Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant.
Anyone ever use this?
I like Meguiars products and was thinking of ordering some, the guy really sold it as something that would make black cars shine like new and take off some of the gunk that bonds to the paint and makes it feel rough. Or maybe he was just trying to sell me something I didn't need to make a buck.
I'd like to try it on her car and my black Mark since it could use it. thanks.

Many people will say to stay far, far away from the clay bar.

I just wax the navigator once or twice a year with an electric buffer and call it a day.

On my boat, I use a one step cleaner wax once a year. I should do it more often, but it's a lot of work. Boats are way bigger than cars and have shiny sides on the top and bottom. Way more work.

My process, and my black car shines like new:
•Clay bar -- once every 18 months or so. Feel the paint with your index finger and if it feels rough clay bar time.
•Follow with a cleaner wax. No circular motions -- "show me paint the fence" motion
•Good carnauba wax 24 hours after. Apply just like cleaner wax.
•Hand remove only, no buffer.
I wax ever three months and quick detail wax in between. You can also use synthetic wax like Mequires NXT, but you have to apply more often to protect.
My opinions only.

Many people will say to stay far, far away from the clay bar...

But those people are ignorant about the benefits of the clay bar. In and of itself the clay will do NO damage to the paint, people who have complained about scratching are those that have used the clay on a dirty or gritty car.

The trick is to wash the car first, preferably with Dawn dish liquid. Don't get excited, you use this once a year to remove any built up wax or polish. Then begin washing the car again using car shampoo and a piece of the clay bar. You'll feel some resistance to the clay at first but then it will glide over the area you just did. it's removing any embedded contaminants. Fold the clay in on itself often so as not to rub the grit back into the surface. If you drop the clay, throw it away and pull off a new piece. When you're done with the car it should be glass smooth and ready to polish.

Polish and buff the car as you normally do. Build up a couple of layers over a few days. Your last step would be to use a sealant or wax if you want.

After this point monthly polish or wax will maintain that surface.

If the detail shop was indeed trying to tell you that #21 will remove the embedded contaminants he is wrong. Nothing will work as well as clay... just ask Moose. Is it possible you misunderstood him? If not then I'd say find another shop.

If you really want to learn about all the chemicals you can use go to www.autopia.org. You'll probably get info overload but there's lots of info there and some very experienced and knowledgeable detailers in the Chicago area. If you want a recommendadtion just put up a post asking for a detailer and you should get some good responses.

The trick is to wash the car first, preferably with Dawn dish liquid...
If you really want to learn about all the chemicals you can use go to www.autopia.org. You'll probably get info overload but there's lots of info there and some very experienced and knowledgeable detailers in the Chicago area. If you want a recommendadtion just put up a post asking for a detailer and you should get some good responses.
Yes Leo and Moose are right, Dawn soap is what you want to start with; forgot to mention that. Leo pointed me to autopia.org and it does have everything you want to know about detailing your pride and joy(s).

I agree with Leo and Scotty about the clay bar, I use it once every 12-18 months depending on how it looks/feels. I also wash the car with dawn dish washing detergent before the clay bar. And I try to do the Meguiars 3 step (Cleaner, Polish, Wax) in the spring and fall.
I did ask the the guy trying to sell me the sealant if it would remove contaminants like a clay bar and he said no, he would still do a clay bar treatment. I much rather wash/wax my own car because I take my time. I firmly believe that if its your car, you are going to do a better job and take pride in doing a good job instead of local detailer that may rush it because there is another car he has to do next.
I think overall I would stick to what I'm doing with the clay bar, Maguiars 3 step(cleaner, polish and carnuba waxes) but I'll probably try the Meguairs #21 sealant instead of the carnuba wax, just to see how it works. I was hoping someone had experience with the sealant, and of course, I'll have to wait till the spring to try it. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Yes, let us know how it works out.

I also use the clay bar, carnuba cleaner wax, and "pure" carnuba wax (Mothers).

I haven't used polish yet. I'm a little bit afraid to use it on clear coat.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

YI haven't used polish yet. I'm a little bit afraid to use it on clear coat.

Huh? Why would you be afraid to polish your car? That's basically what you're saying. Clear coat is just paint without pigment. It needs to be polished and protected just like single stage paint.

Wait a few minutes... I'm working on a special announcement that coincidentally fits this thread perfectly.

OK check it out, I'm still working on the web page but you can see the free video on how to wash your car and a preview of another. Others will be added over the next few days. Funny coincidence this thread came up.

Couldn't get the vid to run, Leo

Really? hmmm... Did you see the first frame pictured? Do you have the Quicktime pkug in in your browser? I had several people check it our before I launced it and nobody had a problem.

Yes, I have QuickTime. Nothin at all coming up. I get the "Do you Want to Allow An Active X Control to load, I say Yes....nothing. I have a VERY fast Verizon FiOS connection.

OK, I think it's all fixed now. I don't know why but when I placed the videos in a folder on the server some people with PCs couldn't load one or the other. Putting them at root level worked, I hope.

So try it again, a great free video on how to properly wash your car.

Last edited:
Back