Upgrading Tranny...

98MK8

Registered
Hello. I ordered a 3qt tranny pan, the special filter, the factory tech valve body seperator plate shift kit, which is just the seperator plate and the "updated" accumulator pistons 1-2 and 3-4, which should be fine in my 98 but i'm replacing anyway. Just have a few questions on what else i should do while i'm at it, have an appointment for all this to be installed on this coming wednesday. I plan on leaving the 2-3 spring out, anything i should tell the tranny man when he's doing this? Anything about the tabs on the 2-3 retainer?

1. Should i leave the 1-2 spring out for an improved 1-2 shift? I know right now it's COMPLETELY DOGGY shift from 1-2, and don't know how much the seperator will help, but is it a good idea to leave the 1-2 spring out even for a daily driver? I want firm when driving hard, and quick but not neck-snapping when cruising. What about the tabs on the 1-2 retainer?

2. Anything else i should do while the tranny guy is in there installing these items?

I also have a tru-cool 28,000lb tranny cooler i'm planning on installing myself, after i get the shift kit installed. Should i route it in line with the factory one in the radiator? Or should i bypass the tranny cooler in the radiator and just use the tru-cool? I like in northern minnesota, and it gets down to 40-50 degrees below zero, but in the summer it can get to be 100+ degrees... should i leave it in line with the factory cooler to help warm it up in the cold months?? Thanks alot, i appreciate the help!!

I don't have experience with the factory tech valve body kit, I installed the Baumann shift kit in my '93.

I've heard of several who removed the bottom 1-2 accumulator spring and regretted it. I don't know how the kit compares to what I have but I can say the shifts I have are regulated by how much you're into the throttle. Low throttle and the shifts are still quick but not hard. Heavy WOT 1-2 shifts can be very abrupt and commonly break traction.

The tabs on the 2-3 retainer can be a PITA. Too loose and it falls out, too tight and it won't go in properly.

If your tranny cooler came with a thermal bypass valve, you can bypass the radiator without trepidation. Without such in the frigid north, you would most likely have a long time to get the tranny up to normal operating temps. If you do bypass the radiator a tranny temp gauge is almost mandatory.

I don't have experience with the factory tech valve body kit, I installed the Baumann shift kit in my '93.

I've heard of several who removed the bottom 1-2 accumulator spring and regretted it. I don't know how the kit compares to what I have but I can say the shifts I have are regulated by how much you're into the throttle. Low throttle and the shifts are still quick but not hard. Heavy WOT 1-2 shifts can be very abrupt and commonly break traction.

The tabs on the 2-3 retainer can be a PITA. Too loose and it falls out, too tight and it won't go in properly.

If your tranny cooler came with a thermal bypass valve, you can bypass the radiator without trepidation. Without such in the frigid north, you would most likely have a long time to get the tranny up to normal operating temps. If you do bypass the radiator a tranny temp gauge is almost mandatory.

Okie doke, so a no go with the 1-2 spring removal? How about the 2-3?? Even the instructions in the kit say to not put it in, and didn't even come with a spring, just a spring for the 1-2. Are you happy with your bauman shift kit? I don't wanna put anything but the best in it, best meaning best shifting, and no negatives in doing the shift kit, only positives for the tranny life.

Anyone else have experience with the factory tech seperator plate? Isn't putting this plate in the same thing as a j-mod, because on a j mod you just drill the seperator plate out right? Also i heard something about on the 97-98's during the 1-2 shift the motor is cut back in order for a "soft" 1-2 shift, which i can believe because that kinda makes sense in how mine feels during the 1-2 shift. Thanks alot very appreciated!

It is a Low Pressure Drop tranny cooler from Makco. On the back of the box the Dana corporation is the maker of it, so it's gotta be good! Do you suggest still running it on the LPD cooler, and bypassing the factory radiator one still? Or run them in line still since i'm in the colder climates, and i'm scared it'll take too long to warm up, since i'm assuming the engine coolant helps warm the tranny oil up as well. Thanks!

Now i have another problem. I want to do all this, but i was told that on the 97-98 mark's the motor is cut out during the 1-2 shift to make it softer, more plush feeling, and that the line pressure in the tranny is reduced during the 1-2 shift, and that if i do a jmod the clutches will burn during the 1-2 shift since the line pressure is being reduced and it will be goofy since the motor is cut out to plush up the shift. Now does anyone know anything about this? Anyone do the j mod on their 97 or 98 that can give me some feedback?! Thanks!!

You need a chip or flash programmer. Talk to Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips, one of our sponsoring vendors.

But does anyone have any personal experiences with 97 or 98's doing a j mod? I know where i can get a chip, and i was actually considering buying the Sniper Tuning software, but i don't know of have heard of anyone that uses it, so i'm unaware of how well it works, looks like a great deal, and cheaper than SCT's pro racer.

But does anyone have any personal experiences with 97 or 98's doing a j mod? I know where i can get a chip, and i was actually considering buying the Sniper Tuning software, but i don't know of have heard of anyone that uses it, so i'm unaware of how well it works, looks like a great deal, and cheaper than SCT's pro racer.

I use the SCT Xcal programming software. Not sure if it is what you are refering to, but I have customized my shift schedules and lock up schedules to my liking. I made mine more linear, so with light throttle my car is very mild; at heavy throttle, my car shifts at 6500 rpms, shifts hard, and the torque converter locks up after 3,000 rpms.

You won't be able to do that on a non-racing tranny, but that is what the software is capable of.

How do you know your tranny is not getting hot?

If it is, there isn't anything I can do about it anyway. I've already had a very good cooler installed with Lonnie's tranny and converter. I guess one would be convenient to give forewarning of any tranny malfunction, but then that could be said of any vehicle component that contains fluid - power steering, differential, brakes, etc. And, what difference would it make in the end? Had I had a tranny temp gauge in my old Art Crap tranny, the outcome would have been the same - fork over a couple grand for something worthwhile.

If a tranny temp gauge magically appeared in my car that would be nice, but I wouldn't spend the time and/or money to put one in. Just two cents from a guy who has gone through 3 or 4 trannies...geez I can't even remember anymore. My left eye and shoulder twitches when I recall those events...

So does anyone know about the Factory Tech seperator plate? I had called the main guy at SCP where i got the Factory Tech, he had said it's better than doing a "jmod" by drilling holes supposedly. Whether that's true or not i was hoping someone could tell me from experience. Thanks!

I have a 98 with the Bauman shift kit and a Blue Oval Chip. Sorry, no j-mod. I've been told different things about the line pressure, and I just don't know. But I know I'm happy with my shifts now. I liked them with the shift kit and I love them with the chip.

I have a 98 with the Bauman shift kit and a Blue Oval Chip. Sorry, no j-mod. I've been told different things about the line pressure, and I just don't know. But I know I'm happy with my shifts now. I liked them with the shift kit and I love them with the chip.

May i ask which Bauman shift kit you had went with? Thanks.

May i ask which Bauman shift kit you had went with? Thanks.

You can ask but I can't tell you. ;) Really, I don't remember. I purchased it from someone here on the board who hadn't installed it himself and was getting rid of it.

Back