Belt squeal

sal329

Registered
So the other nigth I started the car and u could hear the belt squealing LOUD. I sprayed with some stuff we had at work. It was nice and quiet. Next day same problem, same solution lol. Well this went on till I finally had some time to go to Advanced. I picked up a new belt and Idler pulley. My pulley you could see was frozen in place and the ball bearings missing. Today I finally replaced the belt and pulley. Nomore squeal. Now it goes... Chirp..... Chirp... Chirp... lol I check and there is no bird in there.
Not sure if oils make a difference but this is what I sprayed on the old pulley http://automotive.hardwarestore.com...ts-/castle-thrust-penetrating-oil-453068.aspx
I noticed the belt was off to one side of the tensioner pully. Not sure if this is normal here are the pics
IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

is maybe the other pulley chirping? an easy way to find out is to get a long screwdriver, it extension, put it on the bolt that goes through the pulley, or the arm on the tensioner, then put your ear near the end of it. you'll be able to hear which one is making the noise.
BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS.
the tensioner is $40-$50, and 10 minutes to replace.

The safe route is to get an automotive stethascope...that way you can actually hear where the chirping is coming from without having to touch anything.

If you're other pulley stopped spinning, then I'd assume it may have glazed the belt causing it to squeek. If you want to get a new belt, get a GatorBack, they don't squeek.

I hope you didn't spray the belt.

Looks like the tensioner is shot with the belt riding like that on the tensioner pulley.

The belt and idler pulley are new. I think a spring in the tensioner may be shot. The belt is over to one side as you can see in the pics.

Buy a new car man...put it out of hits misery. Heheh.....I didn't even notice the tensioner, nice eyes JP.

....I didn't even notice the tensioner, nice eyes JP.

I've been there before. LOL :D

I replaced the tensioner in the '93 last summer at the Detroit meet with a steel Cobra one I procured from Mad1stGen. The tensioner spring wasn't wore as typical though(it was only a year or two old). It was bent! You could really tell once it was off the car.

Thats the one you changed "on the road" when you got your stooler colen? Lol!

Thats the one you changed "on the road" when you got your stooler colen? Lol!

Not actually, in that incident I only replaced the pulleys, both the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley.

In case any one is interested here is the part number and old price for the upgraded tensioner that Jeremy and I were running..

FOMOCO # XR3Z-6B209-DB = $137.71

Back