98 Mark SC Build

Murphy's Law...

"Those who play leapfrog must complete all jumps." :laugh:

LOL, We don't need Murphy to get involved... I have spent way much more time and effort on the transmission, TC, and the rear end than the motor and SC itself. :wink2-green The motor is going to be stock for the most part. Maybe some new spark plugs, and if needed, coils, boots, and injectors, but that is about it from what I have been told.

Just received the parts from Bill at SCP :) Thanks, Bill!

The motor is going to be stock for the most part. Maybe some new spark plugs, and if needed, coils, boots, and injectors, but that is about it from what I have been told.

Assuming you have a 255lph fuel pump, you'll also need a new fuel pressure regulator.

Honestly, I have no clue exactly what is being done with fuel and air delivery. I left all those details up to the builder Aric to decide. I just know it will have as close to 400 hp to the wheels as he can get it safely.

LOL, What I do know... I gave Aric a big fat check to make it all happen... :)

I stopped by to talk to Aric and Scott L. today. Aric has most everything in - injectors, pump, regulator, etc. Still waiting for the Vortech SC though. Thanks Jeremi, for the Treadstone lead. I think Aric is going with them for the intercooler. :)

He is still not sure yet about the gen2 Mark intake. He does not know what to expect with it, and might decide to put a Cobra intake unit on if he does not get to the magic number with it.

If Scott has time, he might give me a call Monday to install the pinion brace, poly bushings, and diff cover brace.

Put a couple coats of Zaino on the Mark today, and took some pics before I covered it up. Enjoy! :)

markb4sc004.jpg

markb4sc008.jpg

markb4sc005.jpg

markb4sc010.jpg

He can expect that Gen2 intake to rob HP, the only question is how much.

I've always wanted to find someone with a Gen2 that would put a Gen1 intake on and see the difference. Wouldn't that make for a wild mod! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe Joe has already tried it? I know he cut a gen2 intake up once. I did not ask Aric this, but if he goes with a Cobra intake, is it better to delete the IMRC's when going with forced induction?

... is it better to delete the IMRC's when going with forced induction?

As a general observation, I think most have deleted the IMRC's when going with forced induction. IMHO, with your gears and converter, I wouldn't think you would need to since your boost would be more significant when the revs are up where the IMRCs are open anyways. I think it may be beneficial for peak HP but perhaps not so much with overall HP.

Update on the build... The Vortech SC arrived, but it has a satin finish :frown: . Vortech is shipping a polished one next Tuesday, and Aric wants me to drop the Mark off to him next Friday so he can get started.

My Jeep is at the dealer now having the entire rear end rebuilt to get rid of a howl, and should be done by next Tuesday. So, probably on Wednesday, I will take the Mark over to Scott L. and leave it with him to install the pinion brace, diff cover brace, and poly bushings.

I will take some pictures and post them as things are finally moving along now.

Hey Serg, That MAF is a 90mm C&L unit using the stock Mark VIII electronics. No adapters are used on either end of the MAF. Just one big clamp for the intake tube, and another big clamp for the air filter.

I dropped the Mark off this afternoon with Aric, so he can finally install the supercharger :) BTW, I saw a real nice gray 98 Mark there that Aric is going to work on, so, the Mark is in good company in that sea of Mustangs at his shop.

I asked Aric's sister to make sure to take plenty of pictures of the build progress, and I will try to take some myself, if I don't drive him nuts first, and I am banned from his shop :)

So stay tuned everyone. This should be a fun ride :)

I stopped by to visit Aric and Scott yesterday. Aric said the Vortech and intercooler are here :) He is very impressed and excited to see the intercooler. It is the best looking one he has ever seen. He drew on paper where it is going, and how the pipes are going to be routed.

He said it is going to be badass :) You will see it through the grill opening, so it is going to be positioned in front of the radiator using about half of the grill area. There is some fab work to make it fit, and some wires that need to be moved, but he said there is plenty of room for everything.

Scott L. woke the beast up :) He has his Mark running now, and is waiting for his guy to put it on the dyno to dial in the fast system. He is wanting to go to the Fun Ford Weekend event at Atlanta Dragway on April 12-15. I am hoping that my Mark is finished by then, and see what it will do at the track. If not, I will probably go anyway and hang out with Scott and the Marauder guys.

Update - Day 18: Aric called me this morning, and said the ball is rolling :) He started with the removal of the exhaust, and did not like the looks of the restriction from the exhaust manifolds through the cats all the way to where Todd joined the new exhaust with the 2 1/2" pipe :frown: .

Therefore, he is going rip the stock stuff out and install a set of Kooks long tube headers and high flow cats. Here is a picture of what he did not like - from what it looks like now, back to when it was stock:

markmods410s002.jpg

TheMark16.jpg

TheMark10.jpg

TheMark7.jpg

TheMark1.jpg

He is taking a bunch of pictures, so as soon as I get them, I will post them. He is going to drop the tank and install the intank pump and a in line t-rex boost a pump the last I heard. This might have changed, so I will find out for sure. He said I could stop by later in the week to check out the progress. :)

Procharger?

Procharger?

I'm thinking of having a supercharger installed on my Mark. A friend has a Procharger on his 2004 GTO and he's happy with it. Dennis is a Vortec dealer and is familiar with Marks so that's a possibility. In either case it would have an intercooler. I'm running a set of Dan's long tube headders, a 3000 stall converter, a 93 driveshaft and 3.73 gears. What do you guys think about Prodrive?

Another update - Focus pump is in the tank. Vortech sent the t-rex along with the blower. Not sure if Aric put that on the car.

I just got off the phone with Bill @ Super Coupe Performance and ordered the Kooks 3/4 length Jethot coated headers - 1 5/8" primary and 2 1/2" collector with the install kit, o2's with extensions, two high flow Magnaflow cats, all the Percy gaskets, etc. He has all this stuff in stock, and should be here in about a week.

thumbBuilder.aspx

thumbBuilder.aspx

JC, I do not know anything about Prodrive. I can tell you that I am very satisfied with Aric Carrion at Injected Engineering. He is installing my Vortech and a custom made air to air intercooler. You have a real good start with your list of mods. I recommend you give Aric a call - 678-449-6871 Or email him: aric@injectedengineering.com :)

Update - Stopped by and took some pics today :) . I am VERY pleased with Aric and his work to say the least! He is the MAN :) I have a list of some of the main mods as they stand today, that Aric has planned for this build:

Vortech Supercharger Tuner Kit, 99-01 4v Cobra with V-2 SC-Trim Polished

Treadstone Intercooler TR10 24in Long core

Siemens Deka 60lbs injectors

Aeromotive Ford Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ford Focus Fuel Pump

Balancer

Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump

NGK BR7EF Spark Plugs

Ford Racing Aluminum Radiator 03/04 Cobra. Fits 97-03 Mustang/Cobra

Electric Fan 2002 Mustang GT

MAF for 2005 Mustang GT

MAF Plug for 2005 Mustang GT