$6 headlight fix working so far... DON'T Try this at home... yet

hawthorne93mn

Registered
SEE THE POST BELOW BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!

Hey all it's only been 2 days but....

Cracked open my crappy headlight and after trying a few things (wow chrome paint is a massive joke) I bought a chrome tape called Chrome Brite by Trim Brite 3" by 60" roll. it is intended for air cleaners and such so it is supposed to be heat resistant. I used that to tape ove the reflecctor area and removed the low beam shade. so far the results are great I siliconed the headlight back together (so I can get it apart FAST if the tape melts or starts on fire....). So far reuslts are great and after 2 days it hasn;t begun to discolor. I also obviously polished the lens. I will update ya all on whether or not it works out long term but so far I am reallly psyched!. Timothy and Hawthorne (my 93 Mark VIII)

By the way has anyone chrome taped their grill? I am thinking about giving it a shot... Can't look worse... and I am not gonna paint it champagne colored to match the body as that would be um weird...

PS as I was chrome taping it I thought wow there are thousands of engineers tossing in their graves as I an using tape to replace a highly compicated and ineffective reflective coating process. HE HE HE!

PS 2 got the CHrome Brite at Checker auto and it's most recent packaging incarnation says nothing about heat resitance although older pkging on the interent says it is heat resitant...

RE: $6 headlight fix that is working so far...

OUCH!!!!!!

Yeah I knew about that possibility... Pretty gruesome to see in print tho. DId it happen pretty early on or was it something that seemed to be working for a good long while and then troubel came out of left nowhere?

PS you scared the HE-hockeysticks out of me so I sent an email to the manufacturer requesting temp specs and their thoughts on the matter will update the post when I hear back from them. ALso per website it is heat resistant. T

Thermite reaction? lmao

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Thermite reaction? lmao
[/div]

No, Gen 1 has "composite" (plastic?) hood...

Isn't PhotoShop great!Bud

Oh, was that photoshop or real? I have my moments where I can be quite guillible...

Timothy

per manufacturer 175 degress is the heat resistance number they have on the product, they are double checking it.

anyone got any guesses on how hot it gets inside the headlights?

Timothy

PS still working great so far. At least great by Mark VIII non hid standards or in other words passengers no long try to tell me that I forgot to turn my headlights on... :)

It has been 2 weeks now and no problems or discoloration yet...

Timothy

Back