Check air ride problem

stevebpuffin

Registered
So I have been having this intermitent problem, Sometimes the compressor works sometimes it doesnt. So I assumed the compressor was on its way out. this is over a period of a year or two now.. So I finally said screw it, Ill buy a new one. Well, I bought and installed it. Worked right from the start. I was feeling great.. and then the first stop light im at out of my neighborhood I get the dreadful check air message. I am baffled now. WTF could it be? It has a brand new compressor now, what else do I need? Please! some advise would be greatly appreciated.
Also, let me add that the problem was not that big of a deal when it started, Now the compressor rarely works.

Last edited:
Do you think the compressor was running for longer then 90 second because that will cause the warning message...

Does the car ever leak down?

No, the compressor was not running for any unusual length of time. The back does go down, but it usually fills right up no problem(when the compressor works.. which is rarely lately). The compressor was not tunning at the time of the message.
Also let me say that I used to be able to start the car and rev it up to about 2.5k and the compressor would start. Is there a solenoid type of device for the compressor power?

There is a compressor relay. It's on the compressor bracket, it's got a 4 wire plug and it's about the size of a credit card, only thicker.

I'd check the contacts on the plug for corrosion, if they look nice and clean, I'd swap the relay with the ABS relay. The ABS relay is behind the driver's fender, towards the front of the car.

Went to the junk yard, grabbed a couple of the relays. Made the switch and nada. Tried the other one I grabbed and Ding. Took a ride a ride and had it cycle about 5 times. Seems like that was the problem. Thanks for the info guys. Hope this is the fix for sure. Least when I sell the car I can say I have a new air ride system..

Same thing happened to me, but not after I bought a rebuild from Eddie. I ended up keeping my "old Compressor" as a spare. I understand that these relays can go "South" gradually so in the future I will check it out before I get another compressor.

Still having the problem, But it does seem as if it works ALOT more than it did prior to the relay swap. Im thinking maybe because the car it came off of in the junk yard was like a 93-95. I am not at home right now so I cant look at the part, but what is the part number on the relay? thinking of buying a new one..

How did the connections look on the plug for the relay?

Was there any corrosion?

I had a bad power wire going to the relay once, it caused an intermittent problem like yours. It was corroded and all green. I had to replace the wire.

I didnt really look too hard at the wires. But I did see there was no corrosion on the relay(Plug). I will have to look and see if there is anything funky looking on the wires..

Last edited:
Back