love my car , but....

Asia

Registered
I'm having a problem with a strange sputtering when I am accelerating, I even noticed it when i'm sitting at a red light.. it'll just spit an sputter not continuously tho, just here an there while at a complete stop.. I have 38,000 miles now.. 04 Ls V-8.. any idea what this could be ?? I know some of you will think i got some bad gas, well it's been going on for about 2 months now so... any input is appreciated

T

Last edited:
Have you had the codes pulled? There may be codes even tho you don't see the CEL.....
Yep checked to see if i had any codes, none showed up.. Could it be that the fuel filter is gone bad ? or maybe the fuel injectors ?

Last edited:
alright not to sure of the name, but its a device that you plug in under the dash board kinda near where you open the hood of the car.. you hit send, and wait a min for any codes to show up, if so hit erase..( after writting em down) nothing showed up.. hope thats what you mean..

needless to say my uncle did this, not me so its safe to say he know what he was doing..

It is..... called a "CODE READER" ....of all things!!! LOL You did good, but it sure didn't help you fix your problem!

OK...now when sitting idling and it spits or sputters, can you see the RPM gauge vary with the sputtering?

When it starts this sputtering during hard acceleration, does it feel like it hesitates and then goes again? If so, does it hesitate enough to pull you forward into the shoulder belt? Or is it so light that you hardly feel it? Trying to figure if it's ignition/fuel related or possibly a transmission problem.

When it starts this sputtering during hard acceleration, does it feel like it hesitates and then goes again? If so, does it hesitate enough to pull you forward into the shoulder belt? Or is it so light that you hardly feel it? Trying to figure if it's ignition/fuel related or possibly a transmission problem.

Yes, it does feel like it hesitates durning a hard acceleration then goes again.. e.i.,, I can be driving fine at say 40 mph and out of the blue it'll start to sputter then go away.. like I mentioned before it's been going on for about 2 months now, but just on this past Thursday I noticed it when i was at a red light when the car was at a stand still.. and it seems to be getting worse day by day.. and no, it's not enough to pull me into the shoulder belt..

don't ask me why, but my gut is telling me it has something to do with the fuel filter, or maybe the throttle position...

hubby doesnt know **** about cars.. lucky me !! lol

Just read in another forum that some others had this problem and they put GUMOUT (yellow can) in the gas tank and after running for a few days, it quit. Cheap enough to try.

I'm not an LS expert, but if the OP thinks it's fuel related, a remote fuel pressure gauge would show if there was a problem with fuel delivery during the symptoms. If the fuel pressure does not drop during these sporadic symptoms, then I would suspect an ignition issue.

Friend of mine told me to try Stabilizer, ( red can) which i did, it help a little at first, but i can tell the problem is still there.. Guess I can try GUMOUT an see if that helps !! thank you for all your input :)

Friend of mine told me to try Stabilizer, ( red can) which i did, it help a little at first, but i can tell the problem is still there.. Guess I can try GUMOUT an see if that helps !! thank you for all your input :)

If you use large amounts of fuel cleaners/additives, be sure to change the fuel filter after a couple of tanks of gas! They have a tendency to de-slime the fuel tank and lines and all that will be in the fuel filter possibly causing even more problems!

If you use large amounts of fuel cleaners/additives, be sure to change the fuel filter after a couple of tanks of gas! They have a tendency to de-slime the fuel tank and lines and all that will be in the fuel filter possibly causing even more problems!
I've used em maybe 3 or 4 times.. should that be a concern ?

Cop ?? what is that ?

COP is Coil On Plug, it is an ignition system where each spark plug has a coil on it with no spark plug wires. However there is a rubber insulating boot on these that if it even gets just a hairline crack it can cause performance issues.

Changing the fuel filter won't hurt and is something you should do as routine maintenance anyway.

thanks Steve.. So if i had to replace that, how much are we talking ?

the thing that gets me is, the car only has 38k miles on it.. but i guess seeing its a 04, things can get old over time, and need to be replaced..

Thanks to everyone here, I truly appreciate the help !

Back